Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I will be going out to put my zephyr under cover soon and was looking for some tips on storing it. I will be topping up the a/f with some fresh stuff as well as adding a couple gallons of fresh gas and stabilizer , should I drain out the old gas or just add to it? the gas in there is probably about 2 years old and maybe a gallon. I will also go through and lube all the hinges, locks, and latches. And will be parking the tires on boards to keep them from sinking into the ground (the tires themselves arent worth saving). Other than that is there anything else that should be done? The car has sat in this condition for 34 years but with my luck every moving part will cease over the winter:thumbup: I know the oil needs to be changed but dont want to do that till I can find a filter or make an adapter for a spin on.

I will also be storing a 351W for the winter, it hasnt been run since around june/july when it was pulled. I was thinking of just pouring oil into the intake and turning it over a few times, covering it up and pushing it into the corner.

I am open to any and all suggestions, Thanks :welcome:

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wish I had one of those then I can have the car at my house, but cant afford one right now. It will be going under a lean-to that should cover 3/4 of the car and I might extend it to cover the whole car if I can. unfortunately the large car port has been claimed by my parents truck for the winter and they wont let me park it in their barn :mad: I'm hoping I can find a shed to store the 351 in or else it will end up spending the winter beside the zephyr.

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
I use fogging oil for my assembled engines. They're stored inside but unheated. Unassembled blocks, etc get a slather (is that a word?) of grease in the cylinders and bearing surfaces.

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silentlion_69 said:
why wont they let you park it in the barn?
Because the think the car will somehow shoot off a spark form somewhere and "burn it down":rolleyes: yet they keep the hyundai (YES a 1991 hyundai scoupe that has to be push started due to a fragged ring gear) in the barn for the winter! :confused: Old people!! just dont make sense! but I'm not bitter, nope, not me.....

Actually went out yesterday to move the zeph, took my battery, air compressor, a few tools, and forgot the keys at home :thumbup: so guess what I'm doing on my next day off! Got the engine moved and it will be spending the winter in the box of a buddies truck under a canopy, which I guess is as good a place as any other I've come up with.

MI2600 I have heard of fogging oil but never used it, does it go by the name fogging oil or is it called something else? if it would work better than the shot of 10w30 I was planning for it I may grab a can.

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,624 Posts
I put a quart of cheepie 10w30 down the carb of my old car. What engine does the lincoln have? I'll look around online and see if I can find a filter for ya.
-matt

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Tell them the only Zephyrs that spontaneously combust are the later-model ones made from Fairmonts that were recalled because the faulty ignition switches would burn them down even when in the OFF position.

Fogging oil can be bought at a boat place. It comes in a spray can.

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
I put a quart of cheepie 10w30 down the carb of my old car. What engine does the lincoln have? I'll look around online and see if I can find a filter for ya.
-matt
Its actually not a lincoln, its a british ford (yes a ford import) Zepher MK2 it has a 155.8 ci engine according to the owners manual. I have pics in my gallery.

The filters pop up on ebay fairly often but command prices much more than I am willing to pay. So I will continue to hold out till I find a suitable replacement or make an adapter. Someone was actually selling them on ebay for about $50 US which used a normal spin-on filter but dont seem to be selling anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.