Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wonderin' i have heard that putting your car on jacks over the winter can harm the springs and suspention.
my camaro has a computer that runs the dash and a lot of other componenets.while removing the battery is the norm. if i remove this one my puter will clear and i will have to reprogram it.any ideas other than starting it every day???

thanks.

·
Registered
599 Posts
i wouldn't worry about the springs if you support the car by the frame. what you want to do is take the weight off the tires so they don't get flat spots.

for the battery, i'd just get one of those solar battery chargers if there's sunlight available where you're going to store your car. that way you can leave the batt. in there and not worry about it losing a charge. other than that i think i'd just run a trickle charge on it every week or two to keep it charged.

also keep your tank full if possible and put some gasline antifreeze in there as well as fuel stabilizer.

JB

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
Gas Stabizer and a battery trickle charger should be a good start...I would not worry about the tires/suspension..I put carpet or cardboard under them over the winter not jack stands. Make sure to CK the anti-freez and change the oil before storage.

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Administrator
18,633 Posts
And...............DO NOT start the car every few days. That does more harm than good. Engines are huge water pumps, they make water (condensation) which goes into your exhaust. Starting it alot will fill your exhaust with water and rot it. If you do start your car over the winter, let it warm up completely to dry out this condensation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.