Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,325 Posts
i think he has the wrong switch and is using on/off
once you eliminate all the washer motor wiring the switch and wiring is quite basic

looking at the oem diagram and the way this drawing is wired it should work
the switch should be on/on no need for on/off/on but it would work

again i think he's using the wrong switch
would it be easier to wire into a relay?
blue wire 3 into 30 on the relay. ground to 87 on the relay and yellow wire 4 to 87a on the relay
use an on/off switch to energize the relay
wipers off: blue wire 3 is connected to yellow wire 4
wipers on: blue wire 3 is grounded

a quick test to see if the wiring diagram is correct would be to randomly stop the motor
ground #2 and hook #3 and #4 together, the motor should park

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Thanks OGRE,
I will give your idea a try. I am in the process of doing a new drawing by coping what the OEM drawing shows just for the Wiper Motor. If that does not work, then I will try the relay. I will let you guys know if and when I get something to work. Great job guys. Where do I get an ON/ON switch and what do I ask for exactly?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
OGRE,
What do I do with the number 85 & 86 terminals on the relay and do you know the name or designation of the relay? Where do I get one (Radio Shack maybe)?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
You can purchase an automotive bosch type relay just about anywhere.... parts stores, radio install store etc....

Terminals 85 and 86 are for the relays coil, one will get power and the other will get ground when you flip the switch. It doesn't matter which terminal (85, 86) gets the ground or pwr.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks EOD GUY,
I will get one. By the way, a couple of the guys have suggested a ON/ON switch. Is this the same as an ON/OFF? If not where do I get one?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
It's not the same. An On/On switch........ example...when the lever is in the up position it is On and wires 1 and 2 are connected, flip the lever to the down position and wires 2 and 3 are connected and #1 wire is disconnected.

In most bosch relays......
Terminal 30 is the common terminal
Terminal 87 is (NO) normally open
Terminal 87a is (NC) normally closed
Terminal 85 relay coil
Terminal 86 relay coil

When there is no power to the relay, terminals 30 (common)and 87a (NC) are connected or "ON".

When power and ground are applied to terminals 85 and 86, the relays energizes and terminals 30 (common) and terminal 87a disconnect and terminal 30 and 87(NO) connect and provide a second "ON" condition,

hence a On/On switch

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
On-On

WRB, Google SPDT Maintained On-On Toggle Switch and you'll find plenty of sources. It's very likely that your local Graingers store has one on the shelf. Here's an example;
http://www.delcity.net/images/linedrawings/7200033.pdf

If you know how to use an ohmmeter you can test the park switch portion of your motor. If its possible to rotate the motor by hand, attach you meter leads to wires 2 & 4. You should get continuity between these two wires until it reaches the park position. If you don't get continuity at all, try checking it between the motor case and wire 4. Could be wire 2 isn't grounded to the motor or you're connecting to the black wire that is the shield ground on the motor lead in cable. Maybe you could supply some photos of the motor and the wiring to help us ID the problem.

The wiring has now been verified correct by several other members here who are also electricians.

Either the park switch is bad or you're not hooking it up correctly.

Nolan

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
OLNOLAN,
Yes, We are in luck. I do know how to use an ohm meter. Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to try Grainger. None of the auto parts stores or Radio Shack carry the Relay with 5 terminals.
So, do I use an ON/ON or an ON/OFF switch with the relay? I will take a couple of pictures of the motor with its pigtail wire connection. Will post them this afternoon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
EOD GUY,
Thanks for the info. I am still a little confused. OGRE says to use an ON/OFF Switch and you say to use an ON/ON Switch. It would really help me if you guys could hand draw a diagram showing the relay with proper Switch and another drawing without the relay and with the proper switch. You can look at my drawing and make the connections by drawing lines to the correct terminals. I will attach it with this message. Keep up the good work and we will beat this thing.

Attachments

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,325 Posts
reread my post, no where do i say use an on/off switch

IF you can find an on/on or on/off/on maintained position switch that would be the easy way to go, no relay needed
if you use a relay then a standard on/off switch would be used. wired connected to green 1, switch and 86 on relay, 85 on relay to ground

before doing anything do the quick test that i posted above
''a quick test to see if the wiring diagram is correct would be to randomly stop the motor
ground #2 and hook #3 and #4 together, the motor should park''

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You are right, I misunderstood. You did not say on/off switch. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I will do the test first and thanks for reminding me. I have been out shopping for all the items I might need, before attempting to try out what you guys have suggested. Might be tomorrow before I post results.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Orge is on the money concerning switches...... either a On/Off/On or a On/Off switch with a relay.

And I'd do as he suggested and try the test before you decide which way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
EOD GUY
I did the test and the park feature does not work. I have ordered another wiper motor and will try again. Found all 3 types of switches, (on/off/on, on/off, on/on), also found the relay. I will keep trying until I get it to work.
I will send a post as soon as I know the results.
Thanks for every ones input.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Hello To All,
Well I finally found the trouble with the wiper motor. I used the Test Procedure you guys told me about and found out the Parking Feature inside the motor is BAD.
I bought another Wiper motor and wired it as shown in the attached drawing and it works like it was designed.
By the way, a ON/ON switch is the correct one for this application.
Many THANKS go to all those that pitched in with their suggestions. I would not have solved my problem without the help. :thumbup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Like it when a plan comes together

Hello To All,
Well I finally found the trouble with the wiper motor. I used the Test Procedure you guys told me about and found out the Parking Feature inside the motor is BAD.
I bought another Wiper motor and wired it as shown in the attached drawing and it works like it was designed.
Many THANKS go to all those that pitched in with their suggestions. I would not have solved my problem without the help. :thumbup:
I had to hunt this thread down. I've been having ISP problems which I think they have finally fixed. Internet access has been up and down for two weeks. Glad to hear you got it working.
Nolan

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
Hello To All,
Glad you found it and thanks for posting back.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts