Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

I am trying to get to the bottom of a nagging problem with my rear blinkers/brake lights. I have a problem in that I couldnt work out how to present the brake voltage to the bulbs on the same terminal as theblinkers without the wire between the two lights carryng the blinker voltage as well as the brake light voltage. I was sure I had something fundemantally wrong so have decided to go back to basics.

I should point out that this is a 1929 Model A and I dont know what the steering column is other than it hhooks to a Vega box.

The steering colum has the following wires, I have indicated what I 'THINK' each is. In each case the first color is the major color and the second the stripe.

Note that currently a single 12v feed currently seves both the RED and BLUE. I dont know what each feed is for.

GREEN - ??? (havent a clue what this does!)
RED - 12v feed (note this is currently joined to the BLUE)
BLUE - 12v feed (note this is currently joined to the RED)

WHITE/RED - 12v feed for hazard switch

GREEN/WHITE - front blinkers (L)
WHITE/BLUE - front blinkers (R)

ORANGE/BLUE - rear blinkers (L)
GREEN/ORANGE - rear blinkers (R)

I have a 12v feed fed through my headlamp switch feeding the dimmer of the two elements on the blinker bulbs.

I have the blinker wire connected to the brighter of the elements in the blinker bulbs.

My issue is how I now feed the brake light feed to the bulbs? If I connect it to the bright element and then tee to the opposite bulb I dont see how this wire does NOT cause the right blinker signal to feed both bulbs?

The 12v feed for the brake switch is fed from the switched brake light switch B+ terminal on my Painless Wiring fuse box. I know there is some need to have this ultimately fed from the blinker switch?

Thanks for any input you can provide,
Paul

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Isolation comes from the turnsignal switch itself, You need to find the wires that hook to the flasher unit, and the brake lamp switch. and connect then accordingly.

The switch itself provides an output to the brakelamps (both) EXCEPT when the right or left signal is applied..then it shuts OFF the brake lamp on the selected side..

I suspect it is in the two reds and green wire you have now..but without knowing what column it Is , I can only make a guess..

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doc.

So what I am hearing is that in fact the brake light switch doesnt have a 12v feed to the rear of the car to light bulbs. It sinply feeds into the turn signal switch which in turn feeds the lights? I need to ascertain which wire recieves that feed on the steering column and reroute the brake light switch(ed) feed to that instead of the bulbs.

Paul

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Success!

I routed the switched side of the brake switch from the bulbs to the green on the steering column and everything works A OK!

Thanks for the input guys, it gave me enough to get back out there and get it done.

Paul

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
pcoghlan said:
Thanks Doc.

So what I am hearing is that in fact the brake light switch doesnt have a 12v feed to the rear of the car to light bulbs. It sinply feeds into the turn signal switch which in turn feeds the lights? I need to ascertain which wire recieves that feed on the steering column and reroute the brake light switch(ed) feed to that instead of the bulbs.

Paul

Doc here, :pimp:

Correct!

Glad to read in the other post you got it sorted out and working! :thumbup:

You might want to draw a little schematic for the column, and where the color wire goes for future ref, and tuck it away with your records..It may come in handy..

Doc :pimp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.