Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I found a funny issue the other day, I have a 72 Chevelle that when I hit the brakes, the turn signal light act as the brake lights. inside the car and outside the car. Im not much of an electrical guy, so Im kind of nervous. Any ideas?
Also, does anyone know where I can find a accurate wiring diagram for this make/model?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats the weird thing, I replaced the turn signal switch today. Still no turn signals. But now it only happens every so often. Triple checked the install, and still the same thing. I appreciate the diagrams, hopefully I can read them, (not very good with wiring diagrams)

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Check the instrument panel ground, which is up under the dash, since its often overlooked. The dash may be grounded to your emergency brake pedal bracket, or another bracket under the dash, and its usually a black wire. If this ground is loose it will cause a variety of dash and light problems.

Then check the grounds at each brake light housing. They may be rusted and making an intermittant connection. There should also be a larger diameter white ground wire in the rear harness behind the middle of the bumper.

Also check the flat turn signal wiring connector that is near the base of the column. Its a wide, flat connector with 7 or more wires in it. If its pushed out of place or partially pulled apart it can cross-connect or disconnect the wires to the turn signal switch. When I replaced my turn signal switch the new connector was not made right (terminals did not exactly line up) and would not connect. I had to splice on the connector from the old switch.

Bruce

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I checked the ground at the rear of the car, and it wasnt attached as it should be. I removed and replaced. And suddenly the signals worked. And then turned it off came out the next day, and doesnt work again. Frustrated is the word of the day. Any ideas? I am going to check the ground under the dash when the black widow decides to come out so that I can kill it. Wish me luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.