Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have or know where i can see a wiring diagram on how to install a 1988 tpi wiring harness into a '86 buick regal.

Or

Is anybody able to give me details on what to do to install it? what i have to do to start?

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
In the back of the Haynes manual for an 88 Camaro there are wiring diagrams for all the different sections of the car. I have not found a book that has a step by step wiring specifically for the TPI swap. There is the TPI's swapper guide and I found that NOT to be useful at all in my swap. For the most part everything has connectors. If it doesn't you know it goes to either power or ground (and possibly the fuel pump you'll just have to trace wire color).

This is why I expressed how easy and how much I recommend you getting an aftermarket harness. To fit the old harness in the swap I did I traced just about every wire based on its color and where it started and ended.

Plug in everything you can and then start tracing the wires left over. Almost all of them go into the computer at one point or another. Each terminal on the back of the computer has a number or letter. In the haynes book it shows the terminals and the wires coming out of them. You'll have to trace from there.

Install it as a self contained system. The only reason you'll need to splice into your existing wiring harness is for power. Thats it. Dont worry bout running the brake lights from the computer or anything like that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
tpi

so all i have to splice into with the new harness is power??
how come people talk about "tracing wires" like wht else is there to do, what do you have to do after splicing into the power...nd connecting the harness to where it needs to go on the motor...???

·
Premium Member
2,370 Posts
Using the original harness you will have to trace some wires as you are going to end up with ones dangling to which you have no idea where it goes.

With an aftermarket hardness each wire is labeled. I had to splice in the power wire and run a wire to the fuelpump. The rest either had the terminals on them or had a connector.

Wiring is the hardest part of this project. But its something you just gotta start doing. I am happy to help but you keep asking questions that have already been answered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.