Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there I have I and S terminals on new starter motor i bought , I tried running the ignition + coil wire to S terminal but car didnt start, after I changed to I terminal it started but now won't switch off any ideas? Im running points ignition do I need a starter with R terminal?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello there I have I and S terminals on new starter motor i bought , I tried running the ignition + coil wire to S terminal but car didnt start, after I changed to I terminal it started but now won't switch off any ideas? Im running points ignition do I need a starter with R terminal?
Burns welcome to the site and as previously stated the "S" terminal is the terminal that triggers the starter to crank.
You state that there is an "I" terminal. I have always known it to be an "R" terminal. So let's try to clarify. The "S" terminal comes from your neutral safety or clutch depressed switch. it gets power when you turn the key to the "START" position
also the clutch should be depressed or the shifter in an automatic is in the park or neutral position. The other terminal "R" is called the resistor bypass terminal. this terminal feeds 12v directly to the ignition during cranking for a hotter spark. when the key is released the ignition is fed by the key thru resistance to lower the voltage to the coil for contact points longevity. Electronic ignition requires a constant 12 volts so no resistor is used. putting both wires together will back feed the start terminal and constant cranking will occur till you shut the key off. so if I am reading this right disconnect both wires a test light or volt meter will tell you when you have power. have someone hold the key in the "START" position and see which wire is powered . that wire that is powered goes to the "S" terminal. Now we power the starter and see if the power exists during cranking at the "I" terminal on the starter in your case. should power exist during cranking then it's your "Ignition" or "Resistor bypass wire that feeds 12v during cranking. best of luck and stop by the introduce yourself part of the site and meet the fellas !!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.