Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some info from anyone who has first-hand [successful] experience with the Wiseco pistons for sbc with 6" rods.
Specifically, there is a lock ring that goes in the lower (oil ring) groove.
It has a "dimple" on it, and they tell you to install it with the dimple down, therefore there is a bump on the upper side of the lock ring.
This bump makes it virtually impossible to install all 3 of the oil rings.

So my question is... how do you install the oil rings when you have this lock ring installed?

Now I'm wondering if they're saying "dimple", but actually mean that the bump goes down....?

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Dimple goes down...but also has to be placed so it is somewhere over the open span of ring land where the wrist pin bore cuts through he ring land. Dimple can't be actually laying on a ring land.
The dimple is there to prevent rotation of the support ring, so that it's end doesn't get rotated over the open wrist pin cut and get bent out of position.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Dimple goes down...but also has to be placed so it is somewhere over the open span of ring land where the wrist pin bore cuts through he ring land. Dimple can't be actually laying on a ring land.
The dimple is there to prevent rotation of the support ring, so that it's end doesn't get rotated over the open wrist pin cut and get bent out of position.
Dang Eric, were you up early, or up late?

Yeah, I just talked to Wiseco support since I didn't think anyone would've answered this yet.
What I needed to verify with them was their meaning of the word "dimple".
A "dimple" is actually an indentation:
noun
1) a small, natural hollow area or crease, permanent or transient, in some soft part of the human body, especially one formed in the cheek in smiling.
2) any similar slight depression.

The problem is that when Wiseco says "dimple", they are actually referring to the "bump".
The dimple is actually on the other side of the lock ring.
But you're exactly right as far as their intent goes, which is a problem when one (me) takes the term "dimple" literally...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
Don't know if this helps in case for any future folks that may do a search and fine this post but below is some more info on the subject but I could be wrong. Please ericnova72 or whoever else post if I am wrong. I was curious and did a google search as I never heard about this so I wanted to learn something new.

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
Dang Eric, were you up early, or up late?

Yeah, I just talked to Wiseco support since I didn't think anyone would've answered this yet.
What I needed to verify with them was their meaning of the word "dimple".
A "dimple" is actually an indentation:
Thanks!
Just up normal for a work day, having breakfast and keeping my mind from boredom at the same time.:cool:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I mentioned this to a guy at my machine shop, and he said "Don't beat yourself up, everyone screws that up".
So I don't understand why Wiseco doesn't have a little sketch showing which way to position it, since their "verbal" instructions are backward.
At the time I was saying to myself "this can't be right"... but forgot to follow up on it...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually instructions for how to position the dimple on the oil ring support ring is on page 127 of their last catalog.

Bogie
Thanks for pointing that out Bogie.
It would be nice if they just included that diagram with the pistons, or if the little paper with the ass-backwards instructions just said "look at the end of our online catalog for instructions".
(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.