Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
350 eng w/ 350 trans. Was working great, took it for a 20 mile drive, 1 mile from home sputters and quits, O.k. I have a mech fuel pump, my clear fuel filter was dry so I am thinking bad pump! I changed everything out and cranks great but won't start and no signs of fuel either, I have fuel in the tank, any suggestions to get me started in right directions? Thanks, Dana

·
80 SS El Camino
114 Posts
If you pulled the pump did fuel want to pour out of the line that feeds it? If not then you could have a clogged line. Did the fuel pump rod look serviceable? It should of kind of fell out when you removed the pump and should of been a pain in the *** to put the new pump bolts back in. Is there a way that where the rod rides up and down on the cam there is mechanical damage?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fuel pump answer?

Dedub, you were right, I Have No Pump Pressure, , no kinks or anything so I am going to replace my Mech. with electric fuel pump! I can't remember which is the correct pump to use, RED or BLUE, Motor is just stock 350? Or does Auto parts sell a good stock type Pump? Advise, thanks. Dana

·
80 SS El Camino
114 Posts
Heck, I would just run another mech. in that stock 350. Unless you have some serious fuel requirements or love messing with electrical wires and fuses there is no need for an elec. one. Your local Napa, Western Auto, Autozone should all carry a stock pump for under $30.oo. It will be the last one you probably buy.

Good luck
Darrin

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out my cam is wore so this is why I am changing over to electric. I bought the red pump $50.00 new, 1/2 price from a customer of mine, should know in a week, I will let u know how it all turns out, thanks, Dana

·
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty
13,765 Posts
If your going to be running a electric pump, Be sure to add a fuel pressure regulator to adjust the proper fuel pressure. Still dont understand what a bad cam has to do with changing to a Elec fuel pump.JMO. Cole

·
80 SS El Camino
114 Posts
Dana,
I think your going down a road you don't want to go down. If what you say is true then don't patch it with an electric pump. The extra cam lobe is an essential part of the motor that needs to be fixed! If it is actually worn out and the pump is not actuating then you are in for more serious problems later. What else on that cam is wore out? You can't ignore a bad cam, there is either mechanical damage or it's wore, both cases require attention, not an electric pump.
Good luck
Darrin

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
6,391 Posts
If that cam lobe is gone, it is in your engine. Drain teh oil and see if it sparkles. I would change the oil filter and cut open the old one and see how much cam is in it.

·
80 SS El Camino
114 Posts
Dana,
Honestly I don't know how to tell if the cam is actually worn other than what t-bucket suggests or pulling it out and doing a visual. The way it works is just like your lifters and pushrods. The cam rotates, pushing your lifter up, in turn your pushrod. That pushrod *lifts* the rocker arm. Now picture that upside down and that's how your lever in the fuel pump is pushed and it creates fuel for the carb.
good luck and let us know

Darrin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.