Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to tell you guys, yesterday was an amazing day for me.

Seize from every moment its unique novelty and do not prepare your joys
- Andre Gide

I honestly live by this quote of Andre Gide. And boy does it fall together if you just let it.

I loaded up the wife and kids in the "family truckster" (mini van) and headed off for Santa Cruz early (well about 8:30, early for us) and arrived about ten finding a great parking space a hundred feet from the entrance to the wharf. After coming back over and over to get stuff from the van we soon found out that this was a VERY choice parking. :D

Anyway, the show was GREAT, really, really intresting this "Woody community". We grabbed some clam chowder in the bread bowls and walked around eating and checking out the awesome cars. It was very different than your average rod event, very different. Even MORE laid back believe it or not. There was everything from award winning near flawless (you know my opinion on "flawless") cars to pulled out of the garage originals with rot here and there. The personalities were there that is for sure! "Hand ten" and surfing were a common theme. The personalized license plates were a gas! Oh my God how many different ways you could fit tree or wood into license plate was unbelievable! My kids had a good time figuring them out. I couldn't believe the ones my daughter remembered on the way home, spelling and all!

Anyway, after the show we went and rode a few rides including being forced to stay on the "Giant Dipper" vintage wooden roller coaster (listed in on the National historic places) twice because of some problem (never did find out what it was but we think the cameras weren't working!).

After that we changed and hung out on the beach with the kids building sand castles and playing in the water. I hate to have to hang out on the beach surrounded by beautiful women in bikinis sun bathing but someone has to do it!

That is when I also was forced to watch the US Championships beach volley ball compitition! DARN IT, I hate when I have to do that too! :D

While we were out on the sand with the kids playing the parade of woodies started so I went up and got a few more looks as they drove out. What a cool bunch of folks!

We had a nice dinner and then took off for home. On the way out of town we told the kids we would stop at the local legendary icecream shop. It was packed and decided to go across the street to a local coffee shop called "Fins coffee" and had some pastrys while listening to live blue grass music complete with stand up bass and fiddle. Very cool!

Like I said, I went for the show and got so much more!

Brian

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
And more....The "Plywoody" is a fake woody made from a 32 Plymouth sedan.

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
There was about 200 cars! The shot of the "wood" and the door handle is from a 50ish Chevy wagon which most would know isn't wood at all but paint. This one in particular was one of the most stunning examples and REALLY looked like real wood.

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The weather was GREAT!T This Buicks detail was stunning. You can't see it but on the back by the gate is a number of awards including the very prestigious "Pebble beach". They pulled it from a wrecking yard in 1974 and spent 25 years restoring it!

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There were a few "fake" woodies, and most of those were awesome. But I like the originals, most were.

My wife said "I think this event is sponsered by Corona beer but I'm not sure". :D

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In the last post you will see a real "Amphicar" that was driving the streets. I had a good chat with the owner. Very interesting car!

The wharf where the car show was can be seen in the back ground of this beach shot.

The roller coaster is the "Giant Dipper" as seen from the "Sky Glider". I am amazed I could take this with the sweat dripping from my finger tips. :pain:

My kids are in the top left hand corner on the "Pirate ship" ride. :D

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The "Sky glider" ride hanging over the board walk was I think the last I will ever take. I just can't do it anymore, I was scared out of my mind while up there! All the while making like it was nothing and talking to my son trying to get his mind off it so he wouldn't be scared (it looked like he was hanging on the edge too!)

My daughter was so darn cute I guess I wanted to show her picture again. :D

The Woody Chevy "AD" was a rare piece and original. I didn't know they made such a beast but as the owner explained they were actually a "coach" build car. It was a 1947 Chevy AD that was "woodied" back in 47, and it was VERY nicely done and restored.

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The boardwalk brings back memories, I have been going there since I was a baby.

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The parade was very cool. Yes that's a Rolls woodie in the second shot! There were actually TWO of them!

Attachments

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This last photo is what this beautiful beach looked like right after we ate dinner, the fog had rolled in and you couldn't even see the wharf or water!

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
Nice shots, Brian, thanks for sharing. There's a few there that are new to me, the Rolls, the Packard (?), never saw a 38 Ford either. Too cool!

My old boss in the bodyshop used to be an Amphicar dealer. I can remember him driving into Lake Superior in his old tv ads.

·
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When that Ampicar came cruising thru the crowd it might as well had been the Pope Mobile it got that much attention. I commented on how quiet it was and he said you should hear it at highway speeds! He said he has to wear ear plugs!

The darn thing is a kick in the head that is for sure.

The one thing I learned from this show was how many Woodies were two doors. I honestly thought all the 50ish Fords and Mercs I saw were customized (as they were always rods, I had never seen an original). Also, there was a 54ish Ford with a spare tire in the tail gate that I thought was customized as well, looked too "new" to be from the fifties. It turns out to be original too!

I was also impressed with how much those suckers are worth! I saw a number for sale all of them in the six figure$!

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.