Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and there was one topic that was close. Alittle1 made some of the kwik lift type ramps that you could pull your car on. Well I don't trust my welding skills that much yet, so I came up with another idea.

Being that I am going to need to get under the deville to work on it, I am going to need something that is rock solid. The deville is an over 5000 pound vehicle so i need to be rock solid certain my ramps will hold. I also need enough clearance to get a tranny jack with transmission on it under the car. That will determine how high I need it to be.

So I cannot tell you exact measurements until I get the car here and figure out how much lift and length I need. But basically what I am thinking of is railroad ties as a base. With 2*10s or 2*12s as the toppers. And maybe some 2*6s or so as outside wheel guides. Would use multiple 2*10s or 12s to make the ramp up to the top solid. And maybe a stopper piece at the end. But really what I would probably do is use the old hanging tennis ball trick so I know when to stop. Also I would not have a fixed width, but just cut to length pieces of 2*4 that I could use as spacers.

What do you think? Should hold the weight. I have minor concerns about side to side motion. I am thinking maybe a couple of piece of 2*12s at the end to kind of box in the front wheels. And maybe while working secure those end boxes together with a 2*4 or two before I get under the car. The total cost should be under 100 dollars.

·
Registered
805 Posts
(quote) The total cost should be under 100 dollars.

You don't get much for a hundred bucks anymore, but you could try 2 steel barrels cut in half and have a tow truck lift them up on the barrels. The half barrels under each wheel would give you 20 inches of lift under each tire which would be about 28 - 30 inches at the bottom of the tranny.

·
Kenneth Howard hates me...
129 Posts
Here is a CAD model of the ramps i use. They are just stacked 2 x 12's. I cut a chamfer on the leading edge to help get the car up on top. I didnt show the groove that i put on the top plank for the wheel to "fall" into. I have had a F350 dump truck up on them, so they are plenty strong. I lag bolted the together, first drilling pilot holes so not to split the wood.

Attachments

·
The Big Money
383 Posts
I built some wooden ramps for my Chevy truck. Its lowered and hard to jack it up from the front. So I got some old wood from some pallets from work and cut and nailed them together. Just enough to raise my truck up 6". I also got me some steel ramps that I bought from Canadian Tire years ago

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
If you use railroad ties, be sure they're not rotten in the middle. The pressure treatment doesn't always get all the way into the wood, & they'll rot on the inside, but look OK from the outside.

·
Registered
768 Posts
believe jimfulco, i am a railroad trackman , and i change r.r. ties all day. alot of them do rot inside, and you can't tell from the outside

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
As Fat50 showed is a good idea. My wife has a nephew that is a diesel mechanic an has a set very similar to those and can run dump trucks up for extra clearance with no problem.They have lasted for years.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I second the laminated 2x12s. I wouldn't trust an old RR tie for this use. I've never seen an old one completely solid. Remember, the railroad did take them out because they were in excellent shape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts