Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeremy and I were working on my 41 IH hotrod yesterday in upstate NY in 10 - 20 degree weather, need to get my garage heated. We were wondering how many others are that committed (nuts)? :D We got the top back on and both doors to close. Didn't weld the top yet just tack welded to make sure every thing works out.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Nope, don't have a hot rod but the'87 bonneville has been sitting in the garage the last couple weeks untouched, waiting for me to yank the engine so I can scrap it. And want to work on getting one of my trucks running again too after that. Been dragging my tools home from work on the weekends, but just don't have the desire to go out into the garage being so cold. Have a ready heater, but uninsulated garage and price of kerosene, don't really like to keep running that. Been thinking of going junk scavaging for something to make a wood stove, or getting a 55 gal drum from work to make a wood stove out of. But hopefully spring won't be too far away. When I was younger though I removed a front clip from a parts car and installed it on my car (pontiac j2000) that I got in an accident with and had the core support pulled straight. It was probably well below zero outside the garage, and I was out working with a snowmobile suit, hat, and gloves and still freezing. You can only do so much work and keep the gloves on. Needless to say everything wasn't lined up perfect, but I got it on well enough that I could drive the car again. Planned to get everything lined up great and paint in the spring, but the engine didn't last too long after that. Think the old v bent hood from that car might even still be in the attic above dads garage. I am ready for spring. Guess can't complain cause of how warm/no snow for a good part of winter, but now these negative windchills have really been sticking around.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
Did too much of that when I was younger, weather like this is when I do most of my "cipherin" and parts buying now. Call me a puss but it has to be at least warm enough the wrenches don't freeze to my hand. But when the weather does break I am going to be armed and ready to rip into the truck. The goodie collection is growing quickly! In fact if the weather doesn't break soon I'm going to run out of room. :D

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
I have a little woodstove in the garage that takes the chill off nicely..........Trouble is, these days is finding the money...........Guess I shouldnt have burnt it all starting the woodstove......... :nono:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was 10-20 degres saturday when we were working on the truck, no heat in my garage. I worked 20 years in the sawmill and quit 3 years ago because of the cold in winter and now work on my truck in the cold for fun??? Might get the garage insulated this summer for next winter :)

·
Banned
204 Posts
While I hate the cold and have special limitations that make cold weather rather rough, I don't do much work in the very cold. I am lucky enough to have a large new heated work shop, with an office inside. I keep the office heated all times and fire up the two large electric heaters when we work in the shop area. I also like to heat the metal before welding on it in the cold, I use just enough heat to get it warm to the touch. It makes for a better weld and gets rid on that extreme temperature difference.

·
Banned
167 Posts
41 Kustom

I have worked in the cold in the past. I now have my dream shop, at least is is to me. I think if you have a garage that is'nt insulated the thing to do is take some of the money you have for your car and insulate it. You will be a lot happyer in the long run. I have a propane space heater in mine and I can work in my sweatshirt. Make sure you start with the cieling. It will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer. it shouldent cost that much. Keep warm.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Inexpensive heat:

Used to fab and sell these back in the days when the weld shop was slow.

Kept two for myself, retired now but still keeping me warm:

Sotz brand, barrel stoves, double l5 gal (Penzoil grease type) heat my standalone two bay garage perfectly

Sotz bran, barrel stove, double 30 gal in basement. Heated house (small story and a half) l00% till Pgh got into the below freezing weeks. Now only a supplement heat sourse.

Ok they look strange, sends insurance companies up the wall, and brother-in-laws think you are crazy, BUT oil man called many years ago and asked who I am now purchasing oil from...told him i'm using wood... its that good

Like I said, only used for suppliment heating now a days..smokes wood like a cigarette. fire is on bottom of first barrel, no sand, no fire brick, only have to clean out ashes every few weeks...its that efficient

Sotz is not availble now a days. Seen similair for sale at Tractor Supply INC.
some kind of Wolfsburg or so brand.

Try it out for a cost effective, inexpensive heat sourse. Ya just got to get over the appearance.....

another good thing...the one in the stand alone garage, if it burns, it goes in it.. including drain oil, quart at a time, AND the filter.....

MAC

matthew 6:l9-21

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a outside wood furnace to heat the house and shop just need to tap into the line that goes to my shop which is attached to the garage. I think I will get some OSB for the ceiling this weekend the price is down right now compared to last year. I did price out insulation for the ceiling this past summer and it was $500. that is why it's not insulated.

·
members.shaw.ca/daltonboys
30 Posts
Been there, done that....still doing it! Built my '38 over two cold winters in an unheated garage. Just spent the weekend doing some work on my sons 68 Javelin in -20 degree weather in the same unheated, un-insulated garage.
We have a "Herman-Nelson" type heater we blast for 30 min or so, takes the frost off the tools but only lasts for 1/2 hr or so before the chill starts to set back in. Once the fingers start numbing......"coffee while the heater blasts again".

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm in western NY with the high temperatures in the single digits this past few weeks. Although I am not working on the hotrod like I planned, I am working on insulating and getting heat in the building so I never have to stop working on hotrods again!

I'll write more when the feeling comes back in my fingers!

~Joe Ferrero
Geneseo, NY

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
I spend a lot of time in my shop so I did what I could to make it comfortable. Its insulated and I have two 35,000 BTU LP gas heaters out there. I have a 150 gal. LP gas tank out side. I also put in running water, a coffee maker, a stero, and a T-V. I can listen to the news on T-V while I am working on the car.

·
HEAD GREASEWHORE
56 Posts
Oh please! suck it up gentlemen its all part of the die hard hot rodding thing that we all know and love...
Come work on one in Canada in subzero Temps .. I was working on my sled last night ...... and man .. .. my fingers were done.. my feet were gone but...... we found enough blood supply to go sledding after my belt was changed..... AAAAHHH life is good when your frigid! LMAO

Pup

·
Administrator
18,635 Posts
Henry Highrise said:
I spend a lot of time in my shop so I did what I could to make it comfortable. Its insulated and I have two 35,000 BTU LP gas heaters out there. I have a 150 gal. LP gas tank out side. I also put in running water, a coffee maker, a stero, and a T-V. I can listen to the news on T-V while I am working on the car.
Yeah, but Henry......How cold can it possibly get in Mississippi? Like Pup says....It's darn cold up here......

chevyluvnpuppy said:
AAAAHHH life is good when your frigid! LMAO

Pup
Not going near that line....not with a 10 ft pole.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.