Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there
I leased out a nice place for a workshop (see pics beow) today. I plan to do all the body parts, tops that we have been doing here in another smaller workshop. I also plan to get newer machinary and tools to increase the producion. Here is where I need help.. .. Could any of you say what one should get.. Mig welder? Spot welder (What type), Band saw cutter (? what type) etc etc..
I would appreciate your response.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I think we need a more detailed account of what you are doing, the types of Materials, thickness, etc. to give you a recommendation-can you tell us more?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
35WINDOW said:
I think we need a more detailed account of what you are doing, the types of Materials, thickness, etc. to give you a recommendation-can you tell us more?
Thanks.. What we do is make Jeep and 4x4 body parts. They are somewhat heavier in guage then cars etc. We make half doors, bows, panels, fenders etc.
Ehsan

·
Super Moderator
18,353 Posts
I don't want to sound like a smartarse or anything, but don't you have to worry about equipment being stolen?. That space doesn't look real secure................Just wondering.

BTW, I have seen pictures of your work and it is top notch.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
poncho62 said:
I don't want to sound like a smartarse or anything, but don't you have to worry about equipment being stolen?. That space doesn't look real secure................Just wondering.

BTW, I have seen pictures of your work and it is top notch.
Thanks.. It actually is safe. We will keep a guard/watchman also to be on the safe side.
Ehsan

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I hope you are not making/building these for Taliban use!!! But will make a few suggestions. Mig welder is good for the sheet metal and parts up to 1/4" thickness. If you can get them with the supporting gas, I would look at a heli arc welder also. A metal band saw has limitations because it is difficult to get a deep throat. The same for a metal saw. I would have both but would rather have a good Plasma Cutter since so much of your parts are going to be flat metal and you can use a guide to make perfect cuts quick. An air drive flange tool would make lap joints much better and less body work. I don't think I would waste the time on a spot welder. I think I can drill a 1/4 inch hole in one piece of the sheet metal and mig weld it up to the other piece and grind it smooth easier than messing with the spot welder that always leaves me uneasy about getting a good weld.

Brands? Miller, Lincoln, ESabb. I am sure the Germans and Swedes make so good stuff as well, but I am not familiar with them.

Trees

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
trees said:
I hope you are not making/building these for Taliban use!!! But will make a few suggestions. Mig welder is good for the sheet metal and parts up to 1/4" thickness. If you can get them with the supporting gas, I would look at a heli arc welder also. A metal band saw has limitations because it is difficult to get a deep throat. The same for a metal saw. I would have both but would rather have a good Plasma Cutter since so much of your parts are going to be flat metal and you can use a guide to make perfect cuts quick. An air drive flange tool would make lap joints much better and less body work. I don't think I would waste the time on a spot welder. I think I can drill a 1/4 inch hole in one piece of the sheet metal and mig weld it up to the other piece and grind it smooth easier than messing with the spot welder that always leaves me uneasy about getting a good weld.

Brands? Miller, Lincoln, ESabb. I am sure the Germans and Swedes make so good stuff as well, but I am not familiar with them.

Trees
Thank you for such a detailed write up. I would love some more guidance from here as we are toatally unaware of such stuff. The air tools I got a few months ago from the US (for example) did not work or we could not make them to do any work probably because of a small compresser. The mechanics here are usually quite apprehensive towards using newer tools..
Ehsan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts