Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,312 Posts
I love the small engine building over at the Goodguys, those dudes are amazing and a little whacko if you ask me. :D

When I went to that video I saw this one, I have no speakers on my work computer so I don't know what is said but that first picture is enough to peak my interest. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVkpYgXaVlw

Brian

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
8,162 Posts
That is so amazing. That little motor is the coolest. I see it took a lot of time to make it,some of the pieces like the valves and springs must have been the hardest to make. That guy is a real machinist. :cool:
That would look neat in a scale model jag ,or bently.

·
16,312 Posts
That is truly amazing. There was a guy with a 30's Rollsish looking thing I don't remember exactly what it was at the last good guys. That was made like that, I don't know how far he went with the motor and trans but it was totally hand made and absolutely stunning.

If you haven't been in the small engine building at one of these shows and saw all the Radial Aircraft engines, V Twins, blown "392" Hemis and such you are really missing out. Just about every single motor can be found at these places including miniature one cyl vintage outboard boat motors.

Brian

·
16,312 Posts
If it is like all the other miniature motors I have seen run, they ARE running on fuel with spark or glow plugs just like the one in your car.

Brian

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
1ownerT said:
So...was it running on compressed air? No ignition, spark plugs/glow plugs.

I got to thinking the same thing, there was no ignition. I was also intrigued by the fact he used almost all slot head screws.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
1ownerT said:
So...was it running on compressed air? No ignition, spark plugs/glow plugs.
The "colectores de admision" were not connected to any type of throttle mechanism, only to the "filtro de admision". The bottom or inside of the intake filter wasn't shown but it's evident it is the supply line for the compressed air for the intake manifolds, seen as the white plastic line running to the intake 'filter' at the "Performance Test" segment.

The "tapa de distribucion" was not actually a traditional distributor cap, but was instead the cam and crank timing gear cover. There were no spark or glow plugs, and the "bombas de refrigeracion" had no way to dissipate much heat if it were functioning although it wouldn't take much to have plumbed in a radiator. And no oil system.

So I'm gonna say compressed air was the power source and the PSI determined the engine RPM. Still impressive as heck.

·
16,312 Posts
Of course you are right Cobolt, I was watching it at work and had no sound but then you can see there is no ignition system. :drunk:

Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts