Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
If I had to say the WOSRT, absolute useless piece of scrap iron they ever built, with (imho) NO redeeming qualities, I'd have to call the 255 v8 in the early 80's mustangs.

I thought you were meaning common engines....

·
Will I ever get it done?
1,027 Posts
The 76 360/390.

The plant was being phased out, so Ford designated it as a plant which would receive no capital investment. The floors were so bad that passing trains would put chatter marks in the machining. Toward the end, they went to the reject pile and re-machined rejected blocks and engines.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sbchevfreak said:
If I had to say the WOSRT, absolute useless piece of scrap iron they ever built, with (imho) NO redeeming qualities, I'd have to call the 255 v8 in the early 80's mustangs.

I thought you were meaning common engines....
agreed, i have to say this was the worst

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
The Y-blocks were pretty bad, except the 312 that got a little play in the T-Birds w/a supercharger.

But the 239, for instance- pretty bad. It took the place of the flathead V8 of the same size. Made more power than the flatty, but was still a piece.

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
stepside454 said:
in there defense, the y-block was early first attempt at an ohv, so I can give a pass on that
Yeah? Well, so was the SBC (an early first attempt at an OHV, that is). Pontiac, Buick, Olds, Caddy and Chrysler Corp. all had good "first attempts" at OHV engines, too. No pass forthcoming from me!

Henry just didn't like pushrods and rocker arms. Note that FoMoCo was the first of the big 3 to bail on OHV for OHC.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Gotta be the 6.0 Powerstroke.It is so bad it makes the Olds deisel of the 70's look like a genuis designed it.At least the olds had the redeeming quality of the block made a very strong foundation for a gas engine.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Has nothing to do with the worst Ford motor, but could some one explain what Ford's finest were thinking or trying to do when they went 427, 428, and 429 in their quest for topping the MOPARS?

Trees

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
The 6.0 was still an International/Navistar engine. It's biggest problem was that it was rushed into production before all the R&D was done, and all the weak areas definately showed up in "the real world". The 6.4 is better, but still has problems. It, too, is an International/Navistar powerplant.

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
People pick on the poor ole 360, but it is a good FE block that CAN be used for "other purposes" - a 390. A 406, a 427 a 428 with the right innards. Of course, if you don't have access to the right innards, a good anchor for a dock, fill for that in ground pool your kids don't use any longer, etc :D :D :D

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The 6.o only has a few weak points such as egr coolers, fuel pumps(electric supply pump), head gaskets, head bolts, turbo vanes sticking, egr valves sticking, pcm programing problems, aftercoolers exploding, Not to much just expect to pay at least the purchase price of the vehicle in repairs as soon as the warranty is over.

·
My 2 cents worth
2,843 Posts
barnym17 said:
The 6.o only has a few weak points such as egr coolers, fuel pumps(electric supply pump), head gaskets, head bolts, turbo vanes sticking, egr valves sticking, pcm programing problems, aftercoolers exploding, Not to much just expect to pay at least the purchase price of the vehicle in repairs as soon as the warranty is over.
LOL :D :D And more trucks in the service bay's then on the road.

·
bentwings
2,608 Posts
I have to agree with the 6.0 diesel being bad. I had the privilege?? of working on the block machining line in Huntsville. I got to see first hand the major problems of this motor. My partner and I disassembled 200 warantee engines as a side project one Christmas vacation. I think we saw at least one example of every part broken or destroyed in this group. 99 % were ".....just driving down the road and it went.......".

You really need to plan on serious $$$ maintenance on these. There are a lot of them on the road or in the shop. :mad:

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
bentwings said:
I have to agree with the 6.0 diesel being bad. I had the privilege?? of working on the block machining line in Huntsville. I got to see first hand the major problems of this motor. My partner and I disassembled 200 warantee engines as a side project one Christmas vacation. I think we saw at least one example of every part broken or destroyed in this group. 99 % were ".....just driving down the road and it went.......".

You really need to plan on serious $$$ maintenance on these. There are a lot of them on the road or in the shop. :mad:

I wonder if that's the reason that the Dodge Cummins is becoming an engine of replacement choice with some Ford 6.0/6.4 diesel owners.

http://fordcummins.com/

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/758953-cummins-conversion-update.html

....and again, why mine is a V10 gasser :D :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.