Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been planning on buying a 1980s Foxbody mustang and have an engine lined up that I wanted to swap into it. I bought a 1990 F-250 Lariat that came with a Ford 460 and I was hoping to pull the engine and drop it in a Stang but now I'm being told it's a bad idea and that it won't handle the power I want to put into it. I'm disappointed because I don't want to go and spend all my money on another engine especially since I'm already going to have to do so much to make the Foxbody handle the power. Any help is appreciated.

·
More for Less Racer
20,945 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the basic parts....block will easily handle 650 hp, the stock crank will be fine in that same hp range, then add a set of aftermarket connecting rods and forged pistons and you've got the basics to really pack a whallop if you want to.
If you want to go bigger, the block will handle a 514" or even 557" stroker rotating assembly.

The heads are where you have to really upgrade if this is to be a big hp engine build.

What level of power are you looking to be into??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I was looking to be within the 6 - 700 HP range 650 would be absolutely fine since I don't intend on actually gearing it for racing, more of just a fun/cruiser car. Any suggestions for heads? I'm not super experienced this would be my first rod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's nothing wrong with the basic parts....block will easily handle 650 hp, the stock crank will be fine in that same hp range, then add a set of aftermarket connecting rods and forged pistons and you've got the basics to really pack a whallop if you want to.
If you want to go bigger, the block will handle a 514" or even 557" stroker rotating assembly.

The heads are where you have to really upgrade if this is to be a big hp engine build.

What level of power are you looking to be into??
I was told that the engine is a "smogger" and isn't rigged for the same output that an original 460 would be.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
1990 460 would come with EFI, and afaik, the intake runner ports on those heads are only compatible with one OEM 4bbl manifold or the EFI manifolds. They are also garbage flowing heads.

Change timing set with an aftermarket and set timing straight up and down, then install a set of Dove heads. They are the cheapest head that will get you some power

·
Registered
762 Posts
In the first post, I am quite amused by the person saying that a Fox Mustang cannot handle the power of a 460... of course it can, with a bit of work!
It reminds me of the shop manager of a speed shop in the town where I used to live that told me that you cannot put an LS engine in a '70 Impala, that it was just not feasible: his main point was that the car harness could not cope... I did it anyway, and never bought anything from his shop ever again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would need to buff the suspension so it could handle the weight of the 460 right? I know that I'll need to do some extra work for the mounts and stuff so the weight is properly supported.
Look for a set of DOVE C 460 heads circa 1970. Years ago Car Craft did a 460 build. Look it up, great info. Most impressive part of the build was the huge, flat torque curve from 1500 to 6000.
Would the 70s heads work for a 90s 460 I've been told there's a difference between them other than one being carved and the other injected I'm not too sure what the difference would be.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
You nned to install the subframestiffner kit. In my 5.o I bought the round tube kit tht runs front to back suspension area that is under the seat. then I added 1 x 2 tube under the rockers and cross pieces to make a ladder. main one under the seat and in locations to attach the roll bar and braces . under the rear seat that ares had sonme cracks. I bent angle iron to strengthen the square corner panels. also where the rear suspension attaches to the floor needs some 10 gage plate, I bought the cowl to shock tower V brace. I haven't ran it hard enough to see if it needs some cowl metal I also did a front rad support 3./4 square tube .. You can slot the front crosmember to move the front wheels foreward. The fox body forum can guide you on mods to and expolree 8,8 31 spline rear and lincoln town car rear discs and later front 5 lug discs.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
There’s never been anything built with too much power. The problem is insufficient balance, traction, body strength, tire size, etc.

You put in the power then modify everything else to handle it.

A big help in both the direction of correcting SMOG engine lack of power that also helps balance front to rear weight balance is aluminum head’s. For the 460 that takes almost a hundred pounds off the front axle while adds a big heap of torque and pony power.

Bogie

·
Registered
27 T, scratch built road race chassis, 392 hemi, Holley EFI
26 Posts
Great potential, but at minimum change heads and intake (and of course, headers). Forget any spirited cornering, and pop for better brakes. Plan on replacing driveline parts as the next weak link announces itself.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
I am on the "not worth running it" wagon.

Yes it CAN handle power. But not without a good amount of cash. Nothing about a 460 is cheap.

Your starting with a shortblock that is going to need a cam, should have rods, pistons, and at least a polish. Thats assuming the block is square and not cracked.

Then your putting this heavy thing into a fox which will wreck any chance of doing anything but a straight line.

No there are several better engines for a foxbody. Leave the 460's for the trucks.

For a fun fox I would run a turbo 2.3. Build it to rev to 8000 and gear it the same.
People think just because something does not have a big block or stupid hp it is not fast.

Dont look at horsepower alone. Look at the entire car. Heavy rides need horsepower lighter rides simply do not.

I will take a 200hp 2000lb car over a 400hp 4000lb car anyday of the week. Not only will I beat them around a track I will probably beat them in a straight line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I was looking to be within the 6 - 700 HP range 650 would be absolutely fine since I don't intend on actually gearing it for racing, more of just a fun/cruiser car. Any suggestions for heads? I'm not super experienced this would be my first rod.
For the heads I would call Jon Kasse. I just built a 521 and used the Kasse SR71 heads. Their tech line can help get you the components that work together for best perfromance.

·
Registered
444 Posts
A 460 would be a decent engine for someone wanting torque for an old truck. When you start looking for 600hp+, you will quickly realize that any parts to help get that level of power will be very expensive. You also would be adding a lot of weight to the front of the vehicle, and the large size of the engine may be difficult (not impossible) to fit. Its really a poor choice even though it has lots of cubic inches. All of the needed parts like high flowing heads will $$$$ you to death.

Your best bet is to rethink this and sell the engine to someone else. The suggestion to adapt an LS Chevy is probably the best bang for the buck. Something you need to consider is that its not the absolute HP that an engine makes at max rpm thats important, but the average hp it makes over time thats important. Think of it this way. If it takes someone 12 seconds to traverse a 1/4 mile, and you break that twelve seconds into 1/10th of a second increments.....and measure the hp the engine produces at each 1/10th of a second. Then total all those readings. The engine producing the greatest average hp should win the race. Thats an oversimplification as there are other factors like traction and stuff.

I would shoot for something light that can be stroked and will wind quickly. It can be a Ford or a Chevy. If it has to be a Ford, then I would get something that doesn't have wide heads and 4 cams. Get a conventional single cam engine. Dollar for dollar though, a stroked LS with a 5 or 6 speed Tremec backing it up will provide plenty of excitement and be pretty light. And most of them will outrun a modified 460.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the heads I would call Jon Kasse. I just built a 521 and used the Kasse SR71 heads. Their tech line can help get you the components that work together for best perfromance.
Also I am running Holley Sniper xEFI with an Edlebrock RPM airgap intake..
It will be producing approximately 800 HP. It is bolted to a C6 automatic with Gear vendors overdrive. It should be turning about 1900 RPM at 65 MPH.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.