Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my hotrod frame painted with POR-15 but would like to topcoat it with this awesome rich plum gloss (purple) rattle can paint made by Krylon. Has anyone ever used POR-15's "tie coat primer" or know if I could use this Krylon brand paint over it? Let's here some opinions. THANKS......:welcome:

·
Registered
6 Posts
i wouldnt do that because the spray can paint is most likely to flake off you could probly get that same color from ppg and you could get a cheap paint gun at your parts store it would last longer and look better

·
Registered
126 Posts
You need to use Tie Coat primer. POR sells it. Use some 400 grit, scuff the por and top it with tiecoat. POR is hard to sand but the tiecoat is nice to sand. If you topcoat POR-15 it will always peel or flake off. You must use the Tiecoat primer.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No need to. POR-15 is a total seal product that does not allow a moisture exchange once cured. I also believe a powdercoat oven exceeds the temp range for POR-15. It would most likely bubble. I did the underbody of my mustang with POR-15 process and while it was still tacky I shot some PPG DP 50 (epoxy primer red oxide) over it. Restomotive Labs suggested this method would be fine instead of using the Tiecoat primer after it cured.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.