Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
That's insane. It looks like a rust bucket, I wonder if that made the destruction any easier? I had to study that pic before I realized I was looking at the back of the car, I saw the leaf springs. That's one tuff pole.

·
Worn Out and Broken
17 Posts
I worked in the power line business for nearly forty years, and saw a lot of cars and trucks wrapped around poles, but never one done that tight. Saw an early fifties Dodge that hit a big pole head on, busted the pole off and drove through under it, and went on down the road leaving a trail of fluids until it stopped about a hundred feet on; the front end was pushed in in a near perfect "U" shape about three feet, and the engine was in the front seat. Another one, an early seventies Charger hit a big pole and busted it off, and the broken off pole butt jumped over the hood and dropped through the windshield into the drivers lap; we had to lift the pole out of the car so the rescue folks could get the poor guy out. I don't know if he made it or not, but he was still alive and screaming when they took him away. Poles and cars do not make good companions; seen some nasty situations with them.

·
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser
16,459 Posts
That car is on it's side and the pole is IN the drivers and passengers front seats! HOLY CRAP, all I can think of is how strong that pole is! I have never seen one that didn't break off long before the car could get around it like that! WOW

Brian

·
when will it rain???
1,295 Posts
well after checking the photo out and having the OP and c-10 state what car they thought it was, im looking at it thinking to myself, how in the world can you tell what car this was?
so i copied it to my computer and did a 180* rotation on it. when martinsr mentioned that the pole was in the drivers seat that i could tell to the right is the right front fender. from there im thinking that doesnt quite look right for a 70 1/2-81 camaro fender as well as the hood, so i did some checking and from what i can tell, its a 69 camaro. ive attached a pic to show why i say that and also, it shows something else as to why this caught my eye and even went searching to verify what i saw was they key.
in the pic i drew a circle around what is the hole for the antena for the radio. now i didnt go to terribly great lengths to be positive this is fact, but the cars i did see, ( i randomly went through the years of the camaro right fenders to see if they were using them in those years) did not have a antenna in the fender.
the 69 models i did see though did, but not all.
also, the crease in the fender where it meets up with the wheel well is different as well from what i could tell.
well, thats my view of it, whatcha think? :D

Attachments

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,859 Posts
The pic bamboozles me. :D It looks like to the left of the post is the door, it has the lines of a 69 door, as tnsmith says. The tires, are they even made anymore? Tiger Paws, haven't seen them in ages. It looks to be severely rusted, did the pole rip the rear qtr. off the car? Also, the way the pole is positioned, if the driver wasn't ejected before the collision with the pole, there would be a body in that seat. It appears to me that the pole came in on the right side, snapped, then ripped it's way through the car. By looking at the pole as it sticks out of the car, it is aged looking, exposed to the elements, making it the top of the pole or the end of the pole, maybe it was a guardrail, which would make it a lot stronger with supports to hold it from snapping. Where did you find this picture, this is killing me..lol.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I might know the story behind this picture, but I can't be sure it is the same picture I saw, car matches though.

From what I can remember, it was a 69 Camaro that belonged to the son of the owner of a towing company, the kid wrapped it around a telephone pole one night (racing, drunk, wet roads can't remember that detail) and was killed. The kid's dad, being the closest towing company, got the call about a wrecked car with a fatality and headed the scene. When he got there, he didn't recognize the car right away and no one knew it was his son. When he realized it was his son's car and that his son was dead, after they recovered the body, he cut the pole and put the car and pole on the roof of the towing company.

I can't remember exactly where it is, but I seem to remember it being somewhere in NC, but as far as I know, the car is still up there. I seem to remember the picture I saw having the towing company sign in it, but the car seems identical. I saw it as an actual film print, taken by the person who told me the story.

·
Revolution Calling
916 Posts
TNSMITH, good eye. Upon a second look, I'm going with first generation Camaro, more specifically a '69. Saw those stripes on that rather flat hood and then the antenna hole. The tops of the fenders are squared off also, unlike a 70.5-81 Camaro. Then the cowl panel can be seen in the photo. Second gen Camaro did not have a separate cowl.

·
Registered
381 Posts
tnsmith10 said:
well after checking the photo out and having the OP and c-10 state what car they thought it was, im looking at it thinking to myself, how in the world can you tell what car this was?
so i copied it to my computer and did a 180* rotation on it. when martinsr mentioned that the pole was in the drivers seat that i could tell to the right is the right front fender. from there im thinking that doesnt quite look right for a 70 1/2-81 camaro fender as well as the hood, so i did some checking and from what i can tell, its a 69 camaro. ive attached a pic to show why i say that and also, it shows something else as to why this caught my eye and even went searching to verify what i saw was they key.
in the pic i drew a circle around what is the hole for the antena for the radio. now i didnt go to terribly great lengths to be positive this is fact, but the cars i did see, ( i randomly went through the years of the camaro right fenders to see if they were using them in those years) did not have a antenna in the fender.
the 69 models i did see though did, but not all.
also, the crease in the fender where it meets up with the wheel well is different as well from what i could tell.
well, thats my view of it, whatcha think? :D
I agree. I also used Photoshop to rotate and enlarge it. Looks like a 1969 Camaro. The 70's wheels fooled me at first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i say someone wrapped it around a pole on the ground with a backhoe.

i dont see any blood (ok that could wash off over the years)

and why didnt the firefighters at the scene cut the roof off and take the body(s) out.

from the looks of it if somebody was driving fast enough to wrap it around a wood pole there still in there behind the wheel.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I was going to say that I didn't want to see the drivers side. :-(

Doesn't look like anyone was in the passenger seat, but the car had to be flipping over to hit the pole like that. Could be that if a person was in that seat, they might have been thrown out of it.

I had a couple close calls as a kid. This reminds me of the time I was running 115 in the passing lane... only to have the old lady in the curb lane start slowly changing lanes. I slid to one side, then the other. She got over just far enough for me to get between her and the pole on the edge of the road... at about 95-100MPH! If I had one more coat of paint on the car, I wouldn't have made it!

If God didn't watch out for fools, that day... You might have seen a '57 Vette wrapped around a pole. {:-(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.