Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been fooling with this 700R4 for a long time now. I have replaced the front seal, Tcc solenoid, pump bushing, pump gasket, O ring and dipstick gromet. It is leaking from directly behind the TC...it seems to run down the TC and spackle onto the bellhousing untill it begins to drip from the two bottem corners on the bellhousing. I have a spare TC it has the number "6" stamped on it my current TC has a "7" stamped on it, whats the difference? What else can it be my flywheel doesnt seem to whoble...If i buy a complete tranny with TC and transfer case should that solve my problem or can it be a problem with my flywheel...Thanks everyone...Sorry for such a long post.

·
http://www.warsprints.com
2,024 Posts
Chevy350Sb said:
I been fooling with this 700R4 for a long time now. I have replaced the front seal, Tcc solenoid, pump bushing, pump gasket, O ring and dipstick gromet. It is leaking from directly behind the TC...it seems to run down the TC and spackle onto the bellhousing untill it begins to drip from the two bottem corners on the bellhousing. I have a spare TC it has the number "6" stamped on it my current TC has a "7" stamped on it, whats the difference? What else can it be my flywheel doesnt seem to whoble...If i buy a complete tranny with TC and transfer case should that solve my problem or can it be a problem with my flywheel...Thanks everyone...Sorry for such a long post.
Did you check the TC when you had it out for any wear at the seal lip? Sometimes even though seals are soft, they can wear a groove in metal. This happens all the time on a harmonic balancer and probably will a TC as well. Just a thought.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chevy350Sb said:
I agree with Crosley. If you have replaced the seal, the weld on the hub of the converter may be cracked. As far as the "6" and "7" go the "7" is a higher stall from the factory and most (if not all) "7" bowls are furnace brazed. Just so you know you don't have a flywheel, it's an automatic so you have a flex-plate.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
msggator said:
I agree with Crosley. If you have replaced the seal, the weld on the hub of the converter may be cracked. As far as the "6" and "7" go the "7" is a higher stall from the factory and most (if not all) "7" bowls are furnace brazed. Just so you know you don't have a flywheel, it's an automatic so you have a flex-plate.

Thanks for clearing the flexplate thing up for me. Is there anyway it could be anything else like maybe the flexplate causing it to leak. I am to the point where im going to try the other TC if this doesnt fix it i am at a loss.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would be very surprised if that were the cast. The flexplate would have to be broken and you would most likely hear that. If there is a converter shop around you they can pressure test it for you. If you go through the work of pulling it out have it checked. If it is a new reman. converter ask them to check the hub run-out to make sure it isn't beating up your seal. If it checks out OK you have eliminated the converter as the problem and can start looking again.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The only other thing I can think of is the pump gasket. One of the problems with these forums is you are answering questions blind. I own a converter company and people ask all the time things like what is wrong with the converter or trans because it is doing one thing or another. Sometimes you just have to see it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
msggator said:
The only other thing I can think of is the pump gasket. One of the problems with these forums is you are answering questions blind. I own a converter company and people ask all the time things like what is wrong with the converter or trans because it is doing one thing or another. Sometimes you just have to see it!!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean but, it really helps to get input from people like yourself and all the others that have been doing it alot longer than I have. I will try my other converter when I get home. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
10,124 Posts
If the converter was not pressure checked , only a visual check.... it was not properly checked for leaks.

A small crack on a converter or a pin hole will spray fluid out easily

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
leak fixed now it wont go into any gears.

Hey thanks guys..Turns out it was the TC I replaced it with another TC I had and it stopped leaking...I put everything back together...fluid looks good maybe a bit to much..it was just under the "ok" mark to I added a qt. now its a bit high. I put it into gears and nothing not even a budge..I checked my 4X4 lever make sure it was in 2H made sure the brake was off...tried R and drive -OD ....when the drive shaft was off it seemed to spin very slow..I thought It was because I put a differnt TC the one with the"6" instead of my original "7"... every worked fine when I hade my other TC on it just had a really bad leak. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
6,009 Posts
Installing Torque Converter

Chevy350Sb said:
any ideas why It wont go into any of the gears?
Are you sure the converter is installed correctly?
Check fluid level after running it through gears?
Did you have any clearance between the converter & flexplate before tightening the converter bolts? http://www.tciauto.com/Products/TechInfo/FAQ.asp#4

You should feel 3 clicks while rotating & pushing the TC when the Input Shaft splines engage the Turbine, Stator Support splines engage the Stator and finally the TC Hub lugs engage the Pump drive gear Lugs. It can break the Pump gear if they're not aligned. = No line pressure so no gear engagement either.

·
Administrator
10,124 Posts
Since this is a 700r4 type of trans.... is it possible that the trans is a 27 spline input shaft and you have now installed a 30 spline converter?

there would be no power transfer via the input shaft.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.