Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I slid into a tely phone pole last night. I was goin about 65 or so when i lost control and then skidded and slid into (it was raining). wrecked the passager side rear panal. the axle is shifted foward on the passanger side, from what I can tell it just looks like the lower control arm got smashed up. Its bent like an elbow. Im wondering if it is common for the lower control arm to crumble frist, b4 the frame bends? Is it made to absorb more of the punishment. It seems like it would roll if I could get the back axle straight. The motor is fine, starts, runs good.

Thanks guys

Kyle

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
lower control arm

Yes. The control arm will bend first. It is just a stamped u-shaped piece of steel. The frame on the other hand is a box, made of thicker steel. To replace the lower control arms, buy a set of hotchkis or ssm lift bars. They will give you better traction on launch and are boxed steel to stop rear end flex. See pic.

While you are at it. Replace upper rubber bushings with neoprene for even less flex.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Your frame is probably o.k., but without seeing it it's hard to say. I would recomend checking it for squareness before you drive it again. If your not positive on how to do it, pay a few bucks and have it checked by a shop. Dogtracking both looks stupid and is dangerous, and it's hard to tell from the drivers seat. The upgrade on the arms is worth every penny, or you can save a few bucks if you can weld, and box the stock arms and add poly bushings.

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
response to Kurt's post

The reason I suggested the SSM bars was that if you have a slight bend in the frame. The SSM bars are adjustable. You can squaure the rear axles to the front axles. I know this is not exactly correct procedure but I assumed you were trying a cheap fix or you would have just taken the car to a body shop and had it fixed.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yup. Definitely get the frame checked. Nasty hit, looks like an exiting moment. On the picture looking down the side it looks like your door is either not closed all the way, or out of alignment. Was it that way before?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.