Hot Rod Forum banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Bean Counter
40 Posts
chevy302dz said:
Isn't Barry's shop in CA?

I think you read his post wrong. Barry's shop is in California but 428HO is in South Carolina. So in SC Barry could get the cars for 1/4 of what he is paying in California.

It is cool to get some feedback from the people who are actually on the show and work in the shop. I hope they hang around and post some other places on Hotrodders and not just in this post to defend themselves.

The cars they build are awesome but I still can't quit thinking about the factory connectors.

·
Administrator
9,862 Posts
guess I will throw my nickel in.

Not sure if the show is scripted , but they need to rename it to: " lets build a car Ardel Brown will buy at auction"

I am sure the cars are nice when finished but the building process to finished car is predictable & a "yawn" .

I removed the show from my Tivo list of shows to record

·
Registered
0 Posts
Crosley said:

Not sure if the show is scripted , but they need to rename it to: " lets build a car Ardel Brown will buy at auction"

I am sure the cars are nice when finished but the building process to finished car is predictable & a "yawn" .

Sorry you did that, Crosley. The show is not scripted, the cameras catch things as they happen, and the editors arrange them to their liking. As for Ardell, we can't help the fact that he follows the auction circuits. He was doing that long before we came along, and we had no idea who he was when we went to the first auction. He just happens to like being on camera, and he likes the cars we build. Hopefully this next season there will be more people bidding against him.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New season

I for one await the new season. As I said previously, anything to do with these kind of cars is welcome in my home. No matter what my wife says!!! I am king!!! I control the remote!!!!! I decide what we watch!!!! No more dorky home shows!!! I want more car shows!!!!! Opps, here she comes. Got to send this!!!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
I thought the Hemi Dart and Nova race car episodes were pretty good. At least they didn't try to pass them off as something they're not.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Now to me the Hemi Dart episode was good, the Little Deuce episode was good up to a point. Jacking the wheelwell was one thing....watching the fender bow out, but cutting the lip with a Sawzall and leaving it left a little to be desired. Nice car by no means, but when something like that is done, either don't show it on camera, or show it after it was repaired properly.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Kevin45 said:
Now to me the Hemi Dart episode was good, the Little Deuce episode was good up to a point. Jacking the wheelwell was one thing....watching the fender bow out, but cutting the lip with a Sawzall and leaving it left a little to be desired. Nice car by no means, but when something like that is done, either don't show it on camera, or show it after it was repaired properly.
True. That was the only thing I didn't care for. Pretty cheesy way to handle that particular problem too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Kevin45 said:
Has anyone seen th enew show, Wreck to Riches which shows Barry White taking a junker, cloning it into something it is not, then taking it to auction. Last night he made a '71 GTO. Anyways, after he got it together he pulled it out onto the street and nailed it. What the heck were the sparks flying out from under the front end. Looks like something was really amiss there.

Kevin
I would imagine the sparks were header collectors/flanges dragging since the cars sit pretty low.

I'm a fan of the show - but I don't believe Barry has ever tried to pass these Super Muscle Cars (SMC) off as anything but clones/tributes whatever you choose to call them.

I love the "Spendometer" and the Hours Meter - because now finally a lot of novice builders/owners can really see what the parts cost and how many man hours it takes to complete a car in this level of quality (or even higher)

My only real issue with the show is that there is no accounting for the $$ cost per man hour in the sales price of the cars. THIS IS VERY MISLEADING!

They get to 50k on the "Spendometer" and then say they need 50k to break even at auction and anything above they are in the money! Well...what about the 350-400 man hours it took to build the car?

At Barrys advertised shop rate of 90.00 an hour thats an additional $31,500 - $36,000.00 worth of work not factored into the price.

Now you can see the true cost of a car built such as these SMC's would be closer to $80,000-90,0000$ as an average. My guess is the shows producers pick up some of that or all the labor is donated??

Either way still there's video documentation to show that for 60k-100k you could have a pretty darn nice car!

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
At Barrys advertised shop rate of 90.00 an hour thats an additional $31,500 - $36,000.00 worth of work not factored into the price
Good point, Rambo.
As far as the sparks are concerned, one Barry's daughters posted it was a pulley rubbing on something [I think]. :confused:

·
Frmly sc*ot.
535 Posts
Now to me the Hemi Dart episode was good
I'm glad they put a Hemi, 472 cid at that, into a Dart. You can't fit too much more hp into a small car like the Dart.
Did you see the one 1/4 panel all beat to :evil: hell :evil: fiiled with Bondo! They didn't replace it. They hammered and pulled it out, put their share of Bondo in it, and shaped it to look good as new. That's what I think is amazing. :pimp: It was straight, had the body lines, and was flawless.

Do you think most bodymen could do that?

Or is that where the highly skilled custom artists show their talent? :thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Meagre wages

At Barrys advertised shop rate of 90.00 an hour thats an additional $31,500 - $36,000.00 worth of work not factored into the price.
I was thinking that too. On one episode, I think it was the GTX episode, if you subtract the hard costs from the selling price and do the math, the hourly wage was less than $20 dollars an hour. Not much for skilled body men and mechanics. I guess it serves as a useful warning to people who think they can buy something cheap, fix it up, and sell it for a profit. It happens, but not often. Most people I know lost their shirts when they sold restored cars.

I too was wondering about the body work. I realize that with time constraints and so on getting new panels might be hard, but they seemed to use a lot of cheese fix up the panels. There was one memorable shot of a guy shaving the patch down with a grater. They did a great job on it, but if I spent that much money on a car I'd prefer to get steel. And panels for an A Body Mopar of late 60s or 70s vintage shouldn't be that difficult.

Still, I find Barry more pleasant than Boyd, who appears to treat people really badly.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
I watched the episode last night of the TORINO resurrection... :rolleyes:

They took a very low mileage FAIRLANE/TORINO and made a (IMO) a Clown Car. The shade of paint was hideous (must have been left over from the GOAT build), the stripe kit was ridiculous and the wheels made it look like something from Mattel....

I just don't understand how someone can just throw bolt-on parts at something and expect the money that for some reason some are willing to spend on something that is nowheres correct.

Now the 69 FAIRLANE COBRA shown at auction was an example of how to actually build something...

I guess I am getting old... :pain:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Torino

I missed the part where they found that Torino...6,500 miles, is that what I heard. Geez.

But I agree that restoring a collectible Torino would be more worthwhile. There is a 71 GT with a 351 and a shaker in a field here that is 100% complete and would be more interesting.

And I too cannot wait for the low profile tires on big, shiny wheels trend to fade away. If you are a rapper driving a 'Sclade, ok. Any other car? Not so much.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
KULTULZ said:
.....I guess I am getting old... :pain:
Me too.

IMHO Barry did ruin that Torino. The stripes were terribly cheesy and the big wheels and low profile tires simply look totally out of place. Remove the stripes, paint it black with black interior, stick 15x8's on that thing with 60 series tires and then you would have something.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
home brew said:
Here is a direct quote from Barry's website in regards to the show:

'What exactly is a Super Muscle Car, you might ask? A Super Muscle Car is any muscle car that has been taken past the restored level and modified to take advantage of today's technological advancements in performance, engine management, suspension, and braking, while updating the styling themes of the original car. Any car that was available as a muscle car originally is fair game.

Soooo, is a 59 ElCamino with a 454ho and TKO 5sp, air, tilt, pw, ps, p/disc brakes---considered a muscle car???

What I am not liking about these shows is that most all of them have an endless supply of new parts at their disposal. And that they are readily available.

So many of us choose to work on vehicles that take years to just find the parts. (see 59 elcamino)

And remember. it is television,
(my opinion>>>>>>) for entertainment purposes only
:)

Boy--have I enjoyed this thread

·
Registered
10 Posts
Crosley said:

in watching wrecks to riches ...i have suspected that some of the bidders were staged...
boyd did the same thing with his show....there were several cars built and funded by scotty davis on the show

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
home brew said:
Just to play around with words. :D An El Camino is not a muscle car because it is not a car. It is also not a truck.. But what you have there is a great hot rod!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Doc here, :pimp:

And it is a lot easier to Title on a TelePrompter or Video editor than, :

This week we Feature a build of a: "High Horsepower, High Torque, Internal combusted, fossil Fuel dependent, motor driven Connivance of the Chevrolet persuaision"... :drunk: :rolleyes: :(

bryan59EC said:
And remember. it is television,
(my opinion>>>>>>) for entertainment purposes only
YUP...And us guy's that weld, turn wrenches, hunt down "That Right Part", suffer the pitfalls of things that don't fit..start, spin, turn or sound like they are supposed to,...

We can sit back and point fingers at the guys that EDIT and turn 200 hours of video data into 60 minutes..and probably Don't have a clue that the 4 rotor's they ordered, belong on the Dizzy, and not on the axles..
Keep this in mind..Next time you think that:

Try running one of these with no Prior exposure.. :D

101 - 120 of 137 Posts