Hot Rod Forum banner

Wrong calipers?

418 12
Talking about a 77 Corvette.

The caliper is mounted too close to the rotor to the point of rubbing the back side of it. I can't quiet figure out what's off. Do I need a thinner rotor or is the wrong type of caliper being used? Check our this image:
Automotive design Tints and shades Personal protective equipment Automotive lighting Auto part

From the other side
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grey Motor vehicle

Here is what the caliper bracket looks like:
Automotive design Automotive tire Auto part Automotive fuel system Personal protective equipment

Look at the grooves on the back of the rotor the rubbing has caused:
Tints and shades Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Auto part

The pads seem fine, which I don't think should make a difference anyway.
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Rim Bumper

Everything appears to be nice and tight, it's as if the part of the caliper that goes between the bracket and the rotor is too thick. What am I missing here?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Talking about a 77 Corvette.

The caliper is mounted too close to the rotor to the point of rubbing the back side of it. I can't quiet figure out what's off. Do I need a thinner rotor or is the wrong type of caliper being used? Check our this image:
View attachment 627572

From the other side
View attachment 627574

Here is what the caliper bracket looks like:
View attachment 627576

Look at the grooves on the back of the rotor the rubbing has caused:
View attachment 627577

The pads seem fine, which I don't think should make a difference anyway.
View attachment 627579

Everything appears to be nice and tight, it's as if the part of the caliper that goes between the bracket and the rotor is too thick. What am I missing here?
The pistons have to come out enough to give clearance for the rotor. In one of the pic's one set of pistons are out the opposite side appear to be bottomed.??

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,777 Posts
Not knowing the history of this 45 year old car, the pix look like the rotor diameter is either too large for the caliper or if the rotor is correct, the caliper is wrong. I'm gonna guess a 12" rotor under a caliper designed for 11.75" rotors...

Russ

·
Registered
383 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
According to this Russ is right.

This is interesting. However, looking at the grooves on the rotor from rubbing on the caliper, I would think the issue is with the thickness more so than the diameter of the rotor. What's the difference between nominal thickness and minimal thickness?

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Yeah looks like there are 2 pistons on each side. Makes me wonder why have pistons on the outer side where they aren't controlled by the master cylinder.
Internal passages in the caliper allow fluid to feed both sides simultaneously .
As to the rotor surface , how long have those rotors been in use ? That looks like wear when the pads wear out .
As to proper diameter , get out your measuring tools .

·
Race it, Don't rice it!
9,659 Posts
Caliper doesn't appear centered or the wrong parts altogether. I'd buy all new ones from Rock Auto and compare old and new. Rock Auto also has pretty good pictures on most things.
Four piston calipers are rigidly fixed and the pistons on either side make up the pad wear compensation. Unlike a 2 piston caliper that floats back and forth as needed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts