Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last summer I got the Jaguar diff on my hot rod overhauled by a pro. (Not a limited slip diff)

When I put it back on the car, I misunderstood the oil recommendations and filled this oil which is a transmission oil, instead of the recommeded oil:
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/dynolite-gear-oil-40-1-litre-ggl821210.html

Not sure how long I drove with it before I realized the mistake, maybe app 300 mils or so.
Then I filled the correct GL-5 oil.

The recommeded oil:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTUL-90PA...824787&hash=item1cd79e43ae:g:bRcAAOSwraNdVqcF

How serious was this?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
If it's not making any noise then it should be fine.
It's making a very weak noise around 65 mph, during load.
Other han that it works fine.
I'm not sure if it did that from the very start or if the sound came later, because the first trips I drove ( with the wrong oil) was short trips on local roads, with less speed than that.

I have used it for app 750 miles after I changed to the correct oil.
I'm going to change the oil one more time now, to see how the used oil looks like.

Frankly I can't beleive this would be enough to ruin a diff, but I'm not an expert on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So the wrong oil didn't have e.p. additives in it? I still think it would would take more than 300 miles to cause damage.

·
True Hotrodder
1,663 Posts
If you need a GL-5 oil, try going with Valvoline Synthetic gear oil. We lost one gear set to a different brand oil (at least I'm blaming the oil - first word starts with R, second word starts with P) and went to the Valvoline - that's close to 8-9 years now and not a single problem with any of the racecars.

Reactions: staleg

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,480 Posts
You prolly could have filled it with water for 300 miles and it wouldn't have hurt it...

If the diff rebuilder is local, you might have him drive it and see if it sounds right... maybe the lash isn't set right...

Is the noise a quiet gear whine? Does the car have full interior/insulation in it?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the diff rebuilder is local, you might have him drive it and see if it sounds right... maybe the lash isn't set right...

Is the noise a quiet gear whine? Does the car have full interior/insulation in it?
The rebuilder is not local. He is in England, I live in Norway.
Very reputable when it comes to Jaguar rear axles. Ward Engineering.

I would describe the noise as a rather quiet gear wine, yes.
And the car is a 34 Ford Roadster with full interior and little sound insulation.
The Jaguar axle is rubber mounted, tow.

·
Cars, Trucks, Boats, Motorcycl
7,480 Posts
I would describe the noise as a rather quiet gear wine, yes. And the car is a 34 Ford Roadster with full interior and little sound insulation.
Yeah, you're prolly going to hear all the mechanical noises in something like that... especially with no top... was it quieter before the rebuild?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Before the rebuild it had a similar noise, but louder and at lower speed, 50 mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts