Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junkyard Kustoms
298 Posts
I am having problems

Recently our 3/4 chev has been running like garbage.. to start off when a tune up was done the rotor was not pushed down the whole waycausing the middle teminal on the distributor to be burned off, causing backfire and other associated problems, so we took it to a mechanic and he hand times (12 bdc)it by removin and replaceing the can and balancing cyl number one with direct contact with the number one teminal on the distributor, it ran for a while with really crappy timing. then one day it wouldnt start at all, we have put main brains in it we put a new distributor cap wires and rotor in it and one time even the manifold were glowing like cherry red,people have told me intake gasket or vaccum leak but i really dont know , cause as is with out computer advace the engine runs but heats up like an Arizona desert, and as soon as the spark advance is hooked up it dies and the engine has to be retimed (10 bdc) we have used manuals and opinions from allkinds of people and no one seems to know whats going onits like theres a short so we checked the coils and wires and there seems to be nothing wrong with them. we rely on this truck to tow our animals with and get around so any help would be awesome!! (its a 89 chev 3/4 tonne 350ci tbi

·
Time is short, are you ready?
655 Posts
"Wtf" - Give us break. Try using an appropriate subject title next time.

Nevertheless, you probably burned up the ignition module when the cap and rotor heated up. This happened to my 94' Suburban with the TBI and HEI distributor (external dual connection coil). The truck ran fine up until the heat set in, then it would run bad and eventually cut off. Let it set, and it would restart.

Some parts stores can test it for you, but for about $40-$50, I'll bet that is your problem. Ed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.