Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new member on here but have referred to this website many times for useful information. I have an 86 Chevy Pickup 4X4 that weighs about 4900lbs. It has 3.42 gears and a stock stall converter with a TH 350. I have a set of Vortec Heads that have been upgraded with heavier Z/28 springs and a fresh valve job. I plan on running the Edelbrock Vortec RPM Air-Gap Intake and a decent set of headers. The Vortec Heads should bring my compression to around 9.5:1, i think. My question is what cam would work better for this heavy chevy. I know it takes torque to move this thing. I was wondering if the Comp XE 268 would be too much for the stock converter and fairly high gears, especially with all the weight. I want it to be fairly quick. My other option is the Comp XE 262 which i think would better suite what i'm looking for. Just basically looking for the cam that would build better hp and torque without having to put in a stall converter. I know too much cam would kill this thing in the lower rpm's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts