Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a new member on here but have referred to this website many times for useful information. I have an 86 Chevy Pickup 4X4 that weighs about 4900lbs. It has 3.42 gears and a stock stall converter with a TH 350. I have a set of Vortec Heads that have been upgraded with heavier Z/28 springs and a fresh valve job. I plan on running the Edelbrock Vortec RPM Air-Gap Intake and a decent set of headers. The Vortec Heads should bring my compression to around 9.5:1, i think. My question is what cam would work better for this heavy chevy. I know it takes torque to move this thing. I was wondering if the Comp XE 268 would be too much for the stock converter and fairly high gears, especially with all the weight. I want it to be fairly quick. My other option is the Comp XE 262 which i think would better suite what i'm looking for. Just basically looking for the cam that would build better hp and torque without having to put in a stall converter. I know too much cam would kill this thing in the lower rpm's. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
E.T. divided by $ spent= Speed
1,855 Posts
I'd say prolly the 262.Being heavy its gonna take torque to move that and being a 4x4 you prolly got fairly tall tires on it which will suck up evan more of that mild gearing.
Actually if you have really tall tires on it and do any offroading you might evan consider the 256XE.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
lift is .462/.469 on the xe-262, if it were me I would have the guides machined down just so you have more than .001 in clearance.

If he uses +.050" keepers and swiches to umbrella seals he should be safe to using either cam correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts