Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I 'm in the middle of installing my Hot Wires harness in my 54 Mercury Sun Valley and it is going pretty smoothly so far.
I ordered a bracket and pulley to change out the generator and voltage regulator for an alternator with a self contained regulator :drunk: from C & G Ford in Escondido, CA and the parts look nice. My question is when I go to the parts store what part number alternator should I ask for? I have been on line looking and there are too many to choose from. Most places need to look in the computer for make and model which will not work in this case. I have a Ford bracket and pulley. Thanks Craig

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

That's hard to answer...

Your alternator Selection depends upon the type of demand your new system requires..you need to figure out how many amps you will need to support..

If your new system is pretty much standard, you can use a standard 12 SI, internally regulated Alternator, (popular on GM from 70 to say , about 90's). It will provide 63 amp at full output..

If you have added Air conditioning, Electric cooling fans, High power Audio equipment, air bags Ect..Then you will want something in the CS 130/140 series..(90's GM to present) It will provide 130 to 140 AMPS at full demand.

If you are looking for Ford type alternators, I can't offer much, (I'm a GM guy..) That will require a bit of on-line research for an AMP match..

Whatever you use..Don't forget to install a proper fuse link on the Alternator output wire.

Doc :pimp:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.