Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Most of my yard stuff is electric (EGO) except my edger and zero-turn. I bought a 2nd hand EGO mower cheap cause it was broke, fixed a pinched wire, and it's now working. I'm gonna put that mower's power head on my gasoline powered edger and have a Q on something that's popped up I never thought about.

The gaso edger has a flywheel between the engine block and the pulley that will not fit in my conversion. After seeing it, I assume it takes the place of a mower blade as far as weight and inertia. Not sure now whether an electric motor will need some kind of blade replacement weight or not. Any thoughts on how this motor will behave with just a 2 5/8" pulley?

Russ

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sell the repairs mower - go buy an electric trimmer . the world will be powered by fossil fuel for at least an other 50 years !
Not helpful...
  • I already have an electric trimmer, they suck for edging concrete
  • There's nothing worse than yanking a cord a dozen x's to make it run
  • I have all the parts
  • It's a project I can physically do
I could add the flywheel, but the increased "stack up" distance from the base to the pulley would require a spacer plate be fabbed. Right now, it just requires drilling 4 new holes in the edger base and making a shaft adapter on the lathe.

Russ

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's finished and works like a charm. Spent the last week waiting on a new pulley, and no, this swap does not need a flywheel for any momentum/inertia assistance. Needed 4 new holes in the deck, new pulley with machining, and slight mods to the edger handlebar. No EGO parts were harmed, but two unnecessary safety switches and their harness were removed as they were not longer needed. Only the top hoop of the edger handlebar was (cut) removed.

Russ

·
Gotta love a turbo!
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a pretty cool project.
Thanks, small projects like this are about all I'm able to do anymore. Something that could be finished within my limited attention span and physical capabilities. Lately it seems like the house is always needing something fixed and that, of course, takes precedence...

Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts