Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got around to pulling apart the daily drive(83 K-5 Blazer). Suspicions were correct, #1, 3, and 8 lobes were about as flat as they could get. Lifters were also con caved. luckily enough they all came out without a problem. Have all the part in the washer tonight, reassembly tomorrow. Other than new cam and lifter I need to do a timing chain. My thought, this is not by any means a high RPM engine, perhaps i will see if I can find a gear drive at a local supplier in the morning, comments on a gear drive??? Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
batman09 said:
Most definately, already has 3" duals with single chamber flowies. I love loud and obnoxious, it's the only way to bleed out the sound on all these imports around here.

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
sounds good to me!!!Here too...there are so many 4 door hondas with 3 foot wings and motor cycle mufflers.None of these kids are individuals.They all have the same crap.I wish more kids would drive hot rods and muscle cars.every now and then one of these kids wants to race me in my nova.I don't do it on public streets...too dangerous...I've got too much too loose.if you know what I mean.BM

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
batman09 said:
sounds good to me!!!Here too...there are so many 4 door hondas with 3 foot wings and motor cycle mufflers.None of these kids are individuals.They all have the same crap.I wish more kids would drive hot rods and muscle cars.every now and then one of these kids wants to race me in my nova.I don't do it on public streets...too dangerous...I've got too much too loose.if you know what I mean.BM
I do hear ya about running on public roads, we had a nasty accident on I-5 about 2 miles from the house last night. One 19 year old boy dead on scene another air lifter to Habor View in Seattle. They were in a Toyota Corolla doing speeds upwards of 100MPH on wet roads to boot. Sad story and all but they really got what they deserved, sad but true. Take it to the track.. Peace..

lluciano77 said:
If the cam was worn down that much, I would imagine other critical areas may be on their way out. The valve guides and rings may be next.
At this point all is good, I did slap on a new(rebuilt) set of heads. Ran a compression test prior to teardown and all cylinders are +/- 5 psi of one another..

·
Member# 3287
2,625 Posts
Others on the board have stated that the gear drives cause vibrations in the camshaft.

I've had a new set on the shelf for 3-4 years. I decided the headers, etc were enough of "an advertisement" to ricers. Besides, I ran out of volume on my radio.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just my opinion but I think you're headed for problems in the near future. You've had a lot of metal go through that engine. Odds are the the bearings and piston skirts are full of iron. The oil pump gears are going to be chewed up as well. I would pull the motor, completely disassemble it and inspect for damage. The very least I'd do would be to take the crank out anf flush out the bottom end and go back with new bearings. Even that is a half *** repair.
Years ago my brother tried to get by with just a new cam, lifters and timing chain. A month later it spun a bearing. Bite the bullet now or later.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Flat Cam = Major Problems

I agree with the last poster. I would most definetely without a doubt pull the engine and clean everything out of there. It will save you time, money, and grief down the road.

Last time I had an engine I built flatten the cam, I pulled everything apart even the oil pump and found the oil pump gears totally hashed!!! I can guarantee there is metal throughout that engine!!

Why go Gear Drive?? Is this engine boosted?? If it is Naturally aspirated its not worth it unless you like the noise.

Bye for now and Good Luck.

P.s. Gear Drive = Friction which creates heat which kills Horsepower...Just my two cents :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
batman09 said:

Agree completely, I'm 15 and just spent all my hard earned money on a 62 impala 4 door that dont run and needs bodywork, interior, wheels, and a ton of other stuff. I got it for $1600 and love every broken bit of it. check my gallery for a few pics. Sorry to get off topic.

As for the blazer, I agree with what tresi said.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.