Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tackled and managed to get really good results on a tough spot on the quarter panel. This was what I'll call the shoulder area of the front end of the rear quarter panel. this was badly fit by the welder I hired, and pounded on severly by me, prior to discovering that it was welded to the door jamb incorrectly.

So amyway using the hammer and dolly, a contour gauge (to match the shape of the opposite side) and the shrinking disc. I have got this portion in terrific shape, requiring very little filler, maybe just to block.

A second section of both quarters is tougher. I cannot get a hammer inside the quarter to push the metal out. My palm nailer does not fit (need another 1") to make it work.

So what should I use? Will a porta power attachement fit inside? (I have never used one)
I don't wamt to cake on body filler.

The section of the quarters is just above each outer wheelhouse

Thanks for any tips.

·
Shabby chic sheet metalshaper
233 Posts
The first thing: make sure that all you actually need to do is push the metal out. If you have pushed/moved/smoothed the metal out, and the contours up and down and front to back are both still low, then you need to stretch, not just push or pull. This is very important! It is easy to have the panel look good in one direction, but perpendicular to that have it be too shallow.

If you determine that the metal does not need stretching to get the proper surface area to fill out the contours in all directions, then you need to move the metal by prying, bumping or pushing, and then re-smoothing with hammer and dolly, treat with a shrinking disc and check the contours again. You may have to make a tool to pry the metal out without causing too many marks in the metal.

If you simply pull or push metal that needs stretching as well, you will pull the contours of the panel out of shape somewhere else.

John

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good pointers. The metal needs to be stretched, not just pushed out.
I think based on the location, I am going to have to over push or stretch a little more thna necessary, then hammer and dolley, then shrink it down. At least that is the plan. If I can get the metal to go out.

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Something you can try is to weld a washer on edge to the low spot..(so you have something to hook on to) and then pull the offending area out..may have to shrink it back a bit but then??

In the shops we use a stud welder to weld pulling studs on to the panel but the washer is a field expedient method..also welding a small tab on can work as well..Thanks to Brian Martin for this tip..

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts