Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Its just metal,you're the boss
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again in my quest to beef up my drive train Ive hit a road block....i am trying to identify what gear ratio I have in my 9-inch and would like to do it without removing the pinion and counting teeth. i have since my last post removed the third member and discovered it to be an open carrier which i must replace eventually...cant have a one wheel wonder. at any rate...

the numbers one the ring gear (the id tag is long gone) are:
"U A-D2TW4210-a (what appears to be part of a B or E) 035"
the axle is a 31 spline from a 1979 F-150...i dont know if that information is relevant...but i'll throw it out there just in case.

I have been scouring the internet and hotrodders.com trying to decipher these numbers and find out my ratio and have come up with nothing...so i once again humbly ask for you kind folk's assistance. any help will be greatly appreciated, and once again, a merry Christmas to all of you.

·
Registered
155 Posts
1- Grease mark the ring gear where it sits at some distinguishing feature (ie: mark this also, so you know when they line up).
2- Grease mark the yoke & a corresponding point on the case, so you know when they line up.
3- Turn yoke & count rotations until the ring gear marks line up again. This is your ratio. ie: Four and 1/10th turns would be 4:10 or 4:11 gears. And so on...

Good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ford 9 in question

Yeah not sure How much help I can Be ? Been 13 years since I done a 9 in ! But Hopefully this will point you right direction ! Ok Ford 9 in Covers Lotts of Years in Ford Trucks Here are Basics best I remember them . Think Axles Come in 2 Basic types 31 Spline and 32 Spline ! Ok F-100 Series trucks that came with 6 Cyl Motors Generally Used a Single Pinion Houseing in there Pumpkin But Pinion houseing is Usually set up so that a 2nd Pinion Gear can be installed . Usuall Gear ratio If Memory serves me is 2.77 Now With the F-150 Series I Beleive came with 302 or 5.0 and the 460 Was Availiable . I Beleive the one your Lookin for would have Come With the Big Block 460 << Ifn Memory serves me Correctly the F-150 With Big Block 460 Had the Dual pinion houseing << Has 2 Pinion Gears in Pumpkin and I beleive that it was the 32 splined axle with a 3.83 ratio << Beleive this is the one Highly sought after by the American Hot Rodders ! Now Keep in Mind Variations of trucks As In Ford Exploder's Were Sport Model Truck's << Meaning you might find this gear ratio in a Exploder version of the F- Series Truck's Possibly with 351/ CID 400 . As To Identification I Can only Tell you Count Teeeth And Axle Splines Both ! As You will need the Dual Pinion gear Houseing too Match Axle splines . << Hopefully this will Be of Some Help too you ? About all I can Remember of them . Except Pumpkins are Lil Spendy I think I paid 400 Buck's for the Dual Pinion Pumpkin 13 Years ago here in So Cal . <<, Meaning you might wanna Look around Some Back yards , afore Venturin intoo the Realm of Auto Salvage . Hopefully I memberd this right ? But You gett the General Gist of it , and what your lookin for ! Sean

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
leldai73 said:
the numbers one the ring gear (the id tag is long gone) are:

U A-D2TW4210-a (what appears to be part of a B or E) 035"
This is the actual I.D. stamping on the RG. There will also be one on the pinion gear. To positively identify what you have you need both ID's. The RG and Pinion Gear can be interchanged with others (factory asm) to arrive at different final ratios.

With the carrier removed, simply count the gears on each and divide.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
KULTULZ said:
The RG and Pinion Gear can be interchanged with others (factory asm) to arrive at different final ratios.

Are you saying that a particular toothed pinion can be installed to another ring gear with a different number of teeth than the original mating? :confused:

like taking a 10/35 and using that same 10 pinion to make it a 10/32 or something??? :confused:

You're kidding, right?

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
xntrik said:
Are you saying that a particular toothed pinion can be installed to another ring gear with a different number of teeth than the original mating? :confused:

like taking a 10/35 and using that same 10 pinion to make it a 10/32 or something??? :confused:

You're kidding, right?
I think KULTULZ would have to be having one hell of a senior moment to imply something like that. :eek:

Later, mikey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.