Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: which is the best pay sites work the best to sell your car, :confused: I have seen a plethora of sites, but a lot of them do not seem to have much movement, :confused: anyone have any experiance with that? Got one I have to get rid of to make it through the winter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ebay

I have had lousy luck on ebay, both parts and cars,mostly seems like a bunch of deabeats ,scams+ pic collector's on there to me,endless "whats the reserve" or "your lowest price" questions, some do not even READ the whole auction -just fire away w ???, besides being WAY too expensive., $45 just to start for 7 days seems outrageous when most web based for sale sites go for under $25 for 90 days or more, BUT they do not have the exposure Egay does thats for sure.Ebay is my last resort and probably not even then with this car.

·
Registered
547 Posts
:pimp: What kind of car?? You can list it several ways on EBay to tailor it to sell better. I buy and sell on Ebay and have had pretty good results. Try the classifieds here too!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is on here and just about every other board w freebe classifieds that cater to rods, LOL,I am fairly certain I am not out of line at 16K,less than 15k n I'll keep it,I'm losing money there, but its a bad time to sell a rod , dead market/economy n all,I figured I'd spend a bit n let er buck over winter.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
one thing that has come up from some freinds and fellow board membe's is that i have it listed on sites that mostly cater to new rodders or the "ratrod" styles,few of which have the money to spend on a car of this value or would if they did ,not a slam, they are hands on builders is all, but I do not know about that, everyone I know in the hobby are builders of something or other.It was suggested that I "spend the money for a change" to get it out to those who buy,your average buyer who wants to buy his way into the hobby never sees the message boards and just goes right to the car soup or hotrod hotline type of online lists to look, I think they may be right,hence the question. I want a site w traffic, I have used the trader and collector car trader pubs , not much results and costly for nothing much in the way of advertising than to sell a weekly publication,one thing i have learned here in MN ,you gotta have a crow bar to seperate these Norweigens, Swede's + Crauts (me) from a buck and they all think its 1969 for prices, I never advertise here anymore,I just get tire kickers and talkers and bargain hunter's who waiste my time w low ball stupid offer's "I'll give 6k and you can keep the battery" , I actually had that offer, I smiled and said, no, I'll pass, trying not to laugh in his face,he wanted the car so bad he could taste it and I saw that right off, he had just too little cash and threw it out there, the puter gets me guys who BUY 7 times out of 10 if they take the time/trouble to come look at a car,;D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW! 10 bucks a picture! heh heh, yah ok 25 bucks for 1 pic + 6 month's to start ain't bad tho

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I probably will put it on ebay after Feb when things begin to pick back up again - if thing get better over winter :rolleyes:

I have had my car on there for about a month,one reply, a trade w a 89 fox bodied mustang 11.5 sec drag car,not a bad trade, but I have no use for late models or trucks of any kind, other than that zilch , it seems that Craigs list is a local thing, I have mine listed on the Mpls Mn area ,but I have no idea if it is visible to anyone else.
I put it up on hotrod hotline and oldride.com,we'll see what happens :mwink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a question for you guys that sell on ebay ,is it better to start off low with a reserve or just start at your bottom line? I see cars all the time w a low start bid that never climb even close to the reserves + constant "whats your reserve" questions ,reserves are supposed to be secret, right? reserves cost money so...

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Dgas,

You mentioned you are already listed on many of the "free" sites but didn't say which ones. Just wanted to make sure you knew about:

http://www.racingjunk.com/
http://www.sellmyride.com/
http://www.antiquecar.com/

I've gotten lots of responses from racingjunk and to a lesser extent, sellmyride. Antiquecar hasn't produced much for me but its free so what the heck. Unfortunately most of the racingjunk responses are for trades rather than cash purchases but at least they seem to get quite a bit of traffic.

I think your question about "reserve" vs. "no reserve" depends upon the car or item you are selling. My understanding of the theory is that folks who use the "reserve" method want to start out at a very low number in order to attract a large pool of potential buyers and then get a bidding war going. Their primary concern is that if you start with too high of an opening bid it well scare off all the bidders.

The "no reserve" folks, on the other hand, believe that by starting at a fair opening bid (the minimum they would take for the car plus one bid) they will weed out most of the tire kickers and will end up with a smaller but more serious pool of potential bidders.

Both methods CAN work. And both methods CAN fail. Personally I'm in the "no reserve" category...but that's not based upon any particular degree of success. It's just the way I prefer to do business. Set the opening price at a fair number and if it goes higher, great. The last thing I want is for a guy to get carried away in a bidding war and end up with a car of mine that he will forever kick himself for buying. I like happy buyers...and sellers.

BTW, your car looks well priced at 16K...at least from the pics.

·
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool
919 Posts
As for Ebay, I do fine with parts, buying and selling. I have sold or tried to sell 4 vehicles and a camper. I will never sell another vehicle without a reserve. I did it once and it sold for way less than I thought it would, but I had to make good on the sale. Course the opposite has happend more often than not and I've done well.

You knid of want to start out low, but always have that reserve price. If it doesn't meet your reseve, you can negotiate with the high bidder. Its all about perception, if you start out low and a lot people bid on it, then other people will see that if other people are bidding, maybe it a good deal. If you start out high, and no one bids, chances are you won't get a bidding war, which is what you want.

In general though, it is a kind of a hassle selling whole vehicles on ebay, you get all kinds of freaks comming out of the woodwork. The last one didn't meet my reserve so I parted it out and got my money that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts