Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a 69 GTO project car thats about ready for paint and my body man recomeneded Z-Chrome. I don't know a lot about that stuff so I was wondering what is unique about this specific stuff, is it better than other polyester products, and what is unique about polyester products? The car is going to be painted a color called liberty blue or a similar shade of blue and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about what I should use (Z-Chrome or other), methods, techniques, general comments, etc.?
Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Primer/Sealer

Thanks for the help. I didn't know much about this Z-Chrome stuff but I've been hearing good things. And don't worry I didn't mean that the Z-Chrome was goin to be the only prep for paint. My body man recomended it more as a sealant to stop stubborn rust. I still plan on using an additional primer before paint.

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Don't want to rain on your parade, but it isn't going to stop rust. If there is still rust present when you spray it you will eventually have rust come back. Once the rust is removed or neutralized properly the ZChrome will keep any rust from developing as long as the car is indoors and not out in the weather as ZChrome, like any polyester primer will absorb water. You would be far better off using Southern Polyuretane epoxy after you have removed all rust then a 2K catalyzed primer for blocking.

Vince

Vince

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your advice Vince,
I know that it won't stop rust if its left behind, and I've seen some cars with bubbles in the paint where that rust was trying to come through. I hope that doesn't happen to me and it shouldn't. I was using the z chrome as more of a precaution in case there was just the smallest bit of rust that managed to survive. There shouldn't be rust left on the car and this stuff should be a good way to protect the car from the elements if I don't overexpose it. Thanks again, I didn't know about polyesters will absorb water like that.

Josh

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.