Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a chevy 302 long block, Its been sitting for a long time full of old oil. I am thinking about building it up and was wondering if taking to a professional to have it taken apart cleaned and rebalanced is the right first step.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts

Yes that would be a good place to start... Just as a heads up, I am not sure if you know what a orginal 302 chevy engine is worth???? If you thinking about building a hot-rod i would sell that engine, and you would probably get enough bank from it to build a nice engine...

Make extra sure it a shop you can trust to get all the orginal parts back...

I built a 69 302 for a customer 2 or 3 years ago and he was willing to pay $250.00 for a set of orginal rocker arms if i could find them... Just so you know what i am saying..............

·
King of my Man-cave.
2,896 Posts
Rob302 said:
Hello, I have a chevy 302 long block, Its been sitting for a long time full of old oil. I am thinking about building it up and was wondering if taking to a professional to have it taken apart cleaned and rebalanced is the right first step.
There is a very trustworthy guy in York, Pennsylvania that I would trust implicitly. He would be worth the drive to work on your engine. He can't advertise on this forum but I could direct you to him if you like. If you look at k-star's profile you will find a link to him.

tom

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
I ditto what Keith K-star said.

You really don't know what shop you can trust when money is involved.

I'd verify as a true original 302 and sell it to some restorer.

True story time.

Man went to pick up his Ram Air heads at major head shop. The owner tried to give him cheapo heads. He and the shop owner looked at the everything in the shop and the heads weren't there. Man went out to truck, got his Gov't .45 pistol, put it in his belt, went back in and told the owner. "I'm going to take my son for an ice cream, I'll be back in 30 minutes. When he got back, his Ram Air heads were by the front door. FACT. VietNam Veteran.

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
We machined one for a customer this past summer and he had some original GM .030 pistons and had to turn the crank .010/.010 and on theis set up it was a 69 large jornal and we used a set of Manley rods as those old Pink rods had a lot of time on them and he kept them in case the car was sold and they wanted the original ones.

We had to line hone, turn the crank, size the rods on both engd and clearance the pin bore of the pistons, balance the rotator, Bored and plate honed it, and we file fitted a set of rings and the heads was done with all new parts and an original cam ground for it and when it was done we dynoed it and the customer was really happy with the results.

The factory 750 carb really is not the hot set up as it needed a lot work to really make a good number as it ended up with 360 horse and 318 on the torque. A good 600 carb may have been a better choice on the dyno.

And we did not have to deck the block as it was with in .005 every where which is really rare on GM block but at our shop we bore of the main line instead of boring of the deck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.