Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking if i had extra cash to play with,,, i would like to try to build a 4.5" bore with a 3.76" stroke engine... obviously it would be a 396 crank in a 502 block... i know the big thing is to add stroke, as i have built a very nice 489 with 602 hp and 594 ftlbs...
also being obbssesed on the 302 Zapper small block,,, what would a short stroke - big (huge) bore big block run/rev like,,,throttle response?, red line?... obviously the low end torque would be not near as a 4.25 stroke,,, a wild mechanical roller or solid flat tappet would be the only way to go for the revs. 320cc heads?
. i also thought of a 400 small block with a 3.00" stroke... i guess it is obvious,,, i love to hear an engine scream into the stratosphere... we all want torque down low to get the car moving but the hi-end range once it gets moving is nice,,, i had a 350 LT-1 with a .30 .30 cam that i got away with reving to 8000rpm(no ****) many times.i was 21 and was in early 80's when certain things were not frowned upon......no .. please respond with what your ideas are on the big bore /short stroke big block ,,, the engine would be a 70 Nova or something in that weight category...i think it is a great idea, but may be shot down by some of you guys...

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
As SS said.....expensive to build but if you have the money and as you say you like the idea then why not build it, who cares what other people think. If the combo doesn't work then design and build something else.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
De-stroking makes no sense to me. But this is america, you can do what you want (at least for a little while longer).

do a web search on "short stoke myths" and get some professional racing engine builders opinions on this matter.

·
More for Less Racer
20,926 Posts
It's been said by others, ...But can you afford the Heads, Valvetrain and maintenence on this 478" combo - considering you will need to rev 8800+rpm to really enjoy the capabilities of the engine. You are basically talking a Comp Eliminator engine, just a few steps down from a Pro Stock engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.