Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just watched GM Authority Daily Digest showing a GTO blowing away a ZL-1 Camaro. Just a fixed match up, the GTO would require a diet and modifications to do this.

opinions?

·
More for Less Racer
20,938 Posts
Got a link??

Need a lot more specific info to judge this one.
What year GTO and ZL-1?
What options on each?
Wouldn't be such a stretch for a Ram Air GTO with Track Pack if we are talking the old ones, '69 ZL-1.
Modern ZL-1 would smoke either one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ok let’s realize one very important thing, this is from the pure stock drag racing series, they run a bunch of times every year for fun. These guys don’t treat their cars as trailer queens.
Also these car are stock and not stock, these cars are blue printed and massaged and tuned like you can’t believe. They are supposed to run stock polyglass tires but they are made with modern tire technology, These tire are made with the stickiest rubber you can get. The suspensions are dialed in way better then when they left the factory.
My guess is during this race it all came down to drivers.

·
More for Less Racer
20,938 Posts
Like 95 Truck posted, easy to believe when you recognize what your looking at.

Nothing really special in performance about the '69 ZL-1.....it's the same as the rectangle port head, solid lifter cam iron 427"/425hp engine Chevy was already putting in the Corvette and a few Caprices, just cast out of lighter material. Aluminum block and head doesn't add any power in this case, it's just lighter is all. Everybody ohh's and ahh's about the "all aluminum engine" deal.
The GTO was a blueprinted dealer performance tuned package track pack car with 4.33 gears.
Only 130 lbs weight difference, ....and the added weight of the heavier GTO is almost completely in the back of the car.....the Camaro is still nose heavy/rear light even with the aluminum engine. Traction advantage to the GTO on the limited tire, more weight on the rear tires and those 4.33 gears, get the jump in the first 60' using all that low end torque.

Get out in front and just hope you got enough jump to hold off the hard charge of the higher hp Camaro....and that's what the timeslips in the video shows. (y)
GTO quicker ET but less MPH
Camaro worse ET but higher MPH.....just needs another 100" of track is all to blow by that GTO by a good 10+ mph by then LOL.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I had no idea this was the same series covered in Hemings muscle car. I followed articles in you tube that has Camaro’s /Corvettes running in the high 9’s and 10’s but these are “cheater, legal” engines according to the rules. They run turned down stock tires to increase footprint.

I would expect the GM ”showdown” to be “stock” as the clip implies. But as you guys pointed out this is not the case,

From a bit more investigation these “stockers” have 500 plus cubic inch engines. Anything that is not visible is allowed to be modified. Appearance as original seems to be the only requirement.

·
Registered
429 Posts
As the pure stock web site implies and I can back it up, having been to the race’s and knowing a person or 2 who run them. This is a bunch of gentlemen having fun, there is no real hard feelings or arguments for the most part. Just big kids with money playing with their toys.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The C&Z channel provides some pretty interesting content. $558 for the RAIV option equals around $4300 in today's dollars. Based on the performance gain.... not bad for round port heads/alum intake/round port exhaust manifolds/cam/carb/gears!

·
More for Less Racer
20,938 Posts
I had no idea this was the same series covered in Hemings muscle car. I followed articles in you tube that has Camaro’s /Corvettes running in the high 9’s and 10’s but these are “cheater, legal” engines according to the rules. They run turned down stock tires to increase footprint.

I would expect the GM ”showdown” to be “stock” as the clip implies. But as you guys pointed out this is not the case,

From a bit more investigation these “stockers” have 500 plus cubic inch engines. Anything that is not visible is allowed to be modified. Appearance as original seems to be the only requirement.
The "cheater, legal" 500"+ engine stuff is a different race series called F.A.S.T. - Factory Appearing, Stock Tire.

They are allowed a lot more lee-way and are a good 2 seconds faster than the Pure Stock drags cars are, like the ones in the linked video.
Top guys in FAST in the upper 9 second range 1/4 mile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts